• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of a squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I already have a maker in mind. He has done me right on my last two guns.

But, I am wondering what caliber - I am thinking of a nice wood patchbox or brass - brass furniture - small LH lock but I haven't decided on whether or not to get a swamped or straight barrel.

What do you guys like? :thumbsup:

I like 30 or 32 cal. 3/4 in. 1 in 72 twist
42 in. LH flint.
mine is a 30cal 3/4in. 1 in 72 twist I can load from 15grs of FFFg to 50 grs. and it shoots the same group just a little higher.

I'm partial to the .36, but you'll probably love either a .32 or .36...or even a .40 for that matter. Darn it, just get one! :v

There is no minimum caliber or maximum caliber here in TX - plus I have a .50 rifle and a 20 bore fowler.

I am thinking about a .40 caliber - since I think it will work on the smaller whitetails here in central TX - My other choice is a .32 caliber.

Swamped or straight barrel?
:idunno:

I was going to reply before and I'm glad I didn't because now the subject has changed to "squirrel/deer" rifle. My squirrel gun is a .45 cal. flintlock w/ a 7/8"x 42" bbl which is a little muzzle heavy but is just right for the slow pace of squirrel hunting. Unless one scatterguns the little critters, head hits are mandatory when using a rifle of any caliber if one likes to eat squirrels. This LR has shot only one deer and did a sufficient job of it but have since gone to a .54. By the way, this LR was my first, is all brass mounted w/ a brass Pbox and is styled after JP Beck. Due to the dim light in the woods, the sights have undergone some changes and replacements and have finally arrived at the most suitable sights for this type of hunting.....Fred

I would say it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. A swamped barrel is an absolute pleasure to carry and hunt with and is an absolute must for someone who is attempting historical accuracy for pre-1800 and a little after. If that is of no concern or you are going for an earlier style rifle, then you will be most pleased with a swamped barrel.

If, however, you are concerned with the rifle being representative of something a little later in the 19th century, you might want to go with a straight barrel.

Some folks put a swamped barrel on a TN mountain rifle. I'm sure they handle like a charm but they look a little off. Now, a swamped barrel on an early rifle- that is a beautiful thing (not to mentioned a pleasure to carry.)

As to caliber, the .40 will probably be the most versatile but I wouldn't try to take even a small white tail but at very close and confident distances. It'll sure get the job done on a squirrel!

My all around choice in a small bore is a .40 cal. You can upload it for varmints & down load it for squirrels & still be very accurate. Plus when ya get old yer fingers will handle them .40 balls a lil easier than the .32 or .36 cals.
As for straight or swamped, nothing is as well balanced or handles as well as a swamped barrel, IMHO..... :grin:

colerain 40 cal A weight, swamped with radius groove rifling.

i'm partial to wooden patchboxes, but that's just one guy's opinion, and probably worth what you just paid for it.

good luck in your quest for the ideal 'kwerlkiller... and don't try to please someone else at the expense of pleasing yourself; it's your nickel after all.

I have a .32 cap lock, I am thinking of building either a Ohio or a Vincent .36 flintlock w/ a hooked
breachplug & in the future can add a 45 or 40 or
32 NOT PC or HC but would be nice to have an e-z
clean & interchangeable barrel setup.
It would not be a squirrel rifle, it would be a wabbit wifle. If you ever tasted the pine squirrels that are around this area you would understand.
last one was walnut & nickle silver & nickle silver patch box & inlays, this one will be fancy maple ,brass & no patchbox or inlays . I don't want to cover any of that fancy wood.

I really like my 32 percussion and SOMEDAY want a custon flinter in one.

I would go with a swamped.40. I don't have a swamped one but I have a .40 in a straight barrel. My Grandson has a .32 custom swamped barrel. nice gun. Good luck. Dilly

Ihave these small bores in 32, 36 and 40. All are 42" barreled as I sold the original 34" barreled 38cal. I had. I have 2 in 36 cal. One is a straight barrel, the other is an "A" wieght swamped. There is really no comparison between the 2 guns. The swamped is so much nicer to handle. My 40cal is in a "B" weight barrel. I chose that weight of barrel because of the fear that almost all builders and barrel makers said that the "A" weight is pretty fragil with the skinny middle in the barrel. The 40 is a very nice all arounder, that if reguired, can be my legal back up deer rifle in my state. The 36's are a great small game gun. You may just as well forget the idea of having a small bore to do it all and just have both of a 36 and a 40. :grin: But,if you insist on one cal. I would go with the 40. My 32 is an original gun, that I used to shoot all the time, before I got the other guns mentioned. Now I can't remember the last time I shot it.Still a nice gun, just enjoy the others better.

I handled a straight barrel .32 cap gun with a 40 or so inch barrel this morning at an auction house. It is original and not very good shape. The barrel was pretty thick and could have been a 54 or 58 easy. The front was very heavy not even ok to point still heavy. glad I have other stuff to do and can't be there when it sells. That way I won't be dragging it home. Larry Wv

Find a way to handle and even shoot some of different barrels, lengths and calibers. Only way to know what YOU want.

I'd be glad to meet you and let you shoot my .40 cal w/ 7/8 " straight barrel 42" long IF you were closer to Austin, TX. Doesn't seem too front heavy to me but I am a fair sized lad and been shooting it over 25 years now.

TC

What are the relative advantages of a .40 caliber over a .32 or a .36 over a .32 and vice versa?

PICT0388.jpg

This is my Swamped barrel .40 TVM lancaster. the barrel is 38" and the balance is superb. For the woods you can't beat a swamped barrel for handling and shooting. While the .36 is a better choice than a .32 for squirrel and other small game and varmints, a .40 is the best. Squirrel to deer, it will do it all. Economical to feed like the others and much more versatile. 30grns 3f & head shots are about like the .36. Load 60grns 3f and you've got a screaming deer dropper.

One reason that I am sorta leaning (although not convinced yet) towards the .32 is the ability to have my kids shoot it when I get to Montana and the lower level of noise.

Well, a 36 will let you get a big box of balls from Hornady for a real good price. Other than that I'd go with 40. It's not too big. It's not too small. If the barrel isn't too thick then 40 is juuuuuuust right. And, our East Texas deer aren't big enough to need much else unless you're talking to a salesman at a sporting goods store.

The .32 might be a little less noisy, but I wouldn’t make that my final decision maker. A .40 is not going to kick as far as I know. My .45 doesn’t kick at all with loads under 50 grs. or so, thus I wouldn’t be concerned with the kids’ ability to shoot it.

Also, the .32 will be harder to load than a .40. Fouling becomes a problem faster in the smaller bores as well.

Back