• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of a squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a really nice .40 that I'll be selling after the first of the year. It's a little too big for tree-rats and rabbits and not legal for deer here in MI. I plan to replace it with a .36 from TVM.

I am sure everyone will be using hearing protection when firing the rifle you choose. A .32 is pretty noisy, too, and with ear protection any difference between (not all that much) the two will be moot. A .40 can and is usually loaded down with powder charges in the .32 to .36 range, anyway. The need to use a full load is only in case of deer hunting. Recoil is no more a problem with a .40 than the smaller bores, particularly with small game/target loads.

Our 4-H club has some 32's, they are cute! Any squirrel or bunny should be tickled pink to get shot with one.

A B weight .40 Beck or Lancaster 38" bbl is a joy to shoot and carry.

For a true tree rat killer - the little .32 is the ticket.

The .32 takes about 1/3 of the rats head off, the .40 takes about 1/2 of it, the .50 gets most of it and the .62 surgically removes it.

For a squirrel gun ease of carry and accuracy are your main concerns.

I would strongly suggest using a Rice, round bottom rifled bbl - the quality and accuracy of these bbls is as good as it gets.

The TN type rifles also make great squirrel rifles.

I built a skinny little .32 Bean for a fellow who is an avid squirrel hunter and he still thanks me for it every time I see him - 15 years later.

As others have said - Shoot as many different STYLES of rifles as you can - Pick the one you like the best and then decide on a caliber.

One last thing - you mentioned you might move out west - lucky man - keep in mind the little .32 ain't worth a hoot in the wind!

Good Luck !

In the 80s I built a 32 cal halfstock. The barrel was made by Montana Rifle barrel company and is 3/4 inch across the flats. Couple of years ago I converted it to flint ignition. This little rifle is a pleasure to tote and shoot.I shoot 25gr goex 3-f behind a bear greased patched round ball. It is accurate and deadly on limb rats. The little rifle cracks like a 22 mag when fired. I try to head shoot them because the little ball will tear up the meat.

My little .32 has taken many squirrels with 30 grains 3f and prb. It is great at this and leaves little to be desired. Still, the .36 is a better round for small game. It can hit farther, take larger critters and is just as easy to feed. I use to do a lot of my deer and small game hunting with a revolver. A .38HBWC took squirrels cleanly and without much damage; so will a .36 prb. A .350 ball bucks wind better, too.

I've got squirrel rifles in .25, .28, 30, and .32 calibers and I've also used my .50 caliber. All require head shots if meat is not to be wasted. With the smaller calibers, there's no recoil and they are a real pleasure to shoot.

Back