• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This weekend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiosam

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last winter I picked up a .54 caliber Hawken style flintlock. While I have for 30 years owned and hunted with various muzzleloaders, both cap locks and those that shall not be mentioned, this was my first flintlock.

Spent some time last winter and in the summer shooting it but life was too busy this fall and when Ohio's gun season rolled around I didn't feel prepared so it sat in the house while another rifle got to go hunting. Since that week I've had some more time to practice and feel better prepared so this weekend (Ohio's bonus gun weekend)it's gets a much deserved turn in the woods.

The load I've settled on is 80 grains of 3f with .530 cast RB and a .015" patch. Very comfortable with it offhand out to 50 yards and with a rest to 100 yards.

The plan is Saturday morning should find us sitting on a well worn trail when the sun come up.

ohiosam said:
Thanks for all the encouragement!

I hit post before I was finished, sorry.

What I start to say was: Thanks for all the encouragement! I don't post much but I come here regularly to learn. Reading others experiences of shooting and hunting with flintlocks has give me the push to try it myself. Hopefully I'll have a story to tell after the weekend even if it doesn't include a dead deer.

Back