• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Cherokee or New Englander for Youth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Cherokee for the youngest boy and I sold it to a friend for his daughter it was a GREAT gun. When the grandkids got big enough to shoot I bought two more! Pricey if you can find them, but I think they are the best for youth or smaller women. :idunno: :idunno:

Perhaps I am just being an over-indulgent grandpa. (I've kept the Cub even though I have another airplane because she asked me to teach her to fly in the J-3.) Maybe I should let her shoot my old CVA Hawken .50 with a reduced load and RB to see how she really likes traditional muzzle loading first.

To be honest I hadn't seen her in 3 months and she's grown an inch in that time. She is supposed to visit for a 3 day hunt (with her .243) in a couple of weeks and maybe we'll spend the early afternoon at the range with that CVA. That should give me a better idea.

Kansas Jake said:
If she shoots a 243, a prb in front of 50 grains of bp should be a piece of cake.
I agree.

I might also add, if she shoots a .243 that doesn't mean she really likes shooting it.

After shooting a few black powder loads, she might be thinking, "Yah. I shoot the .243 but I really don't like the way it kicks me but, that black powder gun is REALLY FUN to shoot.
It doesn't kick hard and making that big cloud of smoke is way too cool!"

A little story on Jenny. She got a little over-exuberant riding offroad and had a rather spectacular crash. I had to talk her into going to the ER where she was diagnosed with sprained ankle, sprained knee and dislocated elbow. On the way home from hospital ... finally a tear. I said "Oh sweetie ... is the pain setting in." And her reply was "No Pahpaw ... it's just I've been through all this and I'm not even going to have a decent scar..."

Her mom says she gets it from me ... :grin:

OBX-TXN said:
A little story on Jenny. She got a little over-exuberant riding offroad and had a rather spectacular crash. I had to talk her into going to the ER where she was diagnosed with sprained ankle, sprained knee and dislocated elbow. On the way home from hospital ... finally a tear. I said "Oh sweetie ... is the pain setting in." And her reply was "No Pahpaw ... it's just I've been through all this and I'm not even going to have a decent scar..."

Her mom says she gets it from me ... :grin:

LOL! Sounds like a true blooded American country girl! :thumbsup:

I came across a "deal" on a .45 T/C Hawken and thought "with this she can shoot at the range in the upcoming months getting ready for next year and with this heavier gun and PRB, recoil will be minimal".

I brought Jenny to her .243 slowly, 1st shooting a lot of .22, then 5.56, then 75 gr .243, finally 100 gr .243. With that .45 I can accomplish the same in one rifle.

After she has shot the Hawken a fair amount I'll let her decide if she wants a shorter or lighter muzzleloader for hunting.

Any suggestions for a reasonably accurate starting PRB load for a 1 in 48 barrel .45 TC Hawken?

In mine I have two loads I use.I use 35 grains 3f for targets and squrails out to 50 yards and 70 grains for deer and 100 yard. Stacey

You ever 'bid' a low bid on something and forget you did it? Just got notified I "won" a TC New Englander .50 for what I thought was a ridiculous low offer. (That happened to me once on a motorcycle too...)

The TC Hawken .45 should serve well for bench training and the New Englander w/ PRB should be fine for Jenny next year.

And if I happen across a "deal" on a Cherokee or Seneca ... well that's good too ...

I've been thinking about a set of those for myself ... It's one of those 'the older I get the better I was' ... kind of things. Truth is I was on my Army division combat rifle team ... but I don't seem to shoot as well offhand as I used to ...

Latest posts

Back