• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center factory repairs ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfwing82

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I sent a 54 cal renegade flint to T/C about 4 weeks ago . last week I emailed them to check on progress,they said the gun was just logged into shop that day and it would be about 6 weeks for return. That seems to be along time to me. Has anyone had to wait that long ? or am I just being to impatient ?

They've laid off about 1/2 their workforce, and are losing money like crazy. Things are gonna be slow (if the don't come to a complete halt.)

It will probably be back to you in a short time.
I sent a set of Hawken triggers to be repaired and they told me it would also be six weeks. I rec'd it back in about 2 weeks. In fact, they sent me a postcard stating that they had rec'd my triggers...........and they were already returned to me already repaired a week before I got the card.

I SENT MY 50 CAL RENEGADE WITH A CRACKED STOCK ON
1-20-09 ,JUST GOT IT BACK ,COULDN'T BE MORE DISATISFIED WITH THERE WORK ,LOCK DOESN'T EVEN TOUCH THE NIPPLE ,RUBBER BUTT PLATE, STRIPPED SCREWS,WRONG-DIFFERANT TIGGER GUARD , CAN'T FIND A SINGLE THING THEY DID RIGHT! GUN WILL NOT WORK!
I WISH I NEVER SENT IT FOR REPAIRS.

YOU need to call T/C and asap. You must have got a really upset worker for some reason. Maybe because of OBAMA'S great bailout package? That cause this whole mess. He's got everyone scared $hitle$$ to spend money on anything.
This man is most likely doing a job that he was not hired to do? OR not trained to do?

Oh, great! :cursing: After struggling with problem T/C's for 20 years, I finally decided enough when my stock crack last month. I sent it in for complete replacement a week ago.

Now I get to look forward to maybe 8-10 weeks or a crappy repair job or maybe with my luck I'll get both?

It just keeps getting better. :barf:

I have been trying to get a new sear for one of my rifles from them without much sucess.I called about a month ago and described what I needed to a lady who stated that I needed to send my lock to them.I told her that I didn't want to spend twenty dollars to buy a seven dollar sear.She told me after a long pause that she would send me one, but I never did get it.I have called numerous times since then but have never got to talk to anyone.After waiting for over five minutes on the phone you get a message that all of their representives are busy and they ask you to leave a phone number that they can reach you at.You never get the return call.Does anyone else handle parts for their products?

sent my lock in to have the new cock and frizzen installed also sent a check for $20.00 to cover postage. requested a couple of the new type vent liners. recieved lock back with a new cut flint and two new vent liners also my check was returned. no new cock or frizzen??????

TTC

Before sending my gun i I did searches and only found good reports about T/C customer service. even in my own post most said that they had outstanding service.The exception was from one person that warned about a big layoff and he said that would make him skeptical of their service.Well I will have to wait and see I hope they do not mess gun up or forget to send it back.

folks, i have been sending things in for repairs to t/c for 40 years and not 1 problem with them.

its hard for me to believe what i read here.

i just sent in barrel to have bore checked out.

it had a little pitting.

i said i would pay to have it looked at and cleaned up,if possible.

they cleaned it to nice shiny and you can hardly see a pit in it.

NO CHARGE.

had it back in about 2 weeks or so.

sproulman said:
folks, i have been sending things in for repairs to t/c for 40 years and not 1 problem with them.

I've only had to contact them one time. A sear broke when the rifle was dropped. I was just gonna order one and replace it but TC said to send the lock in. I received a new lock a couple weeks later.

GW

I've never had anything but the best of luck dealing with TC customer service dept. If they have reduced their work force we all may have to wait a little longer, but I don't see that as such a big deal. Most of us have more than one Ml anyway, so I'd just play with a different rifle while I wait. I have one rifle that I need to send it shortly, am not worried about the results. All my TC rifles have been bought used, and the prior owners didn't always treat them as well as I would have liked. Anyone who has had a problem should call them right away and let them know.

BILLYGOAT said:
YOU need to call T/C and asap. You must have got a really upset worker for some reason. Maybe because of OBAMA'S great bailout package? That cause this whole mess. He's got everyone scared $hitle$$ to spend money on anything.
This man is most likely doing a job that he was not hired to do? OR not trained to do?

You've got to be kidding....right?

For what it is worth here is my TC warranty experience. I had bought a .50 cal Hawken at a pawn shop. Someone had messed up tha back of the barrel in an attempt to remove the breechplug. It was ugly but I could live with it. But the head of the cleanout screw was halfway broken off. I tried foolishly to remove the cleanout screw with an eazy-out. Well of course the eazy-out broke. SO I sent the floks at TC an e-mail being completely honest about the situation. I asked how much to replace the breechplug. I got back an e-mail saying they could not replace the breechplug and I would have to buy a new barrel. While I can understand that position, I was not impressed.

I bought a 45 cal T/C at a pawn shop cheap without really looking it over, because it had such an new look to it, and had it for about 4 years and finally took it out to shoot, and after looking down the barrel, it was bent and so I sent it to the repair shop, within one week I recieved it back with new triggers, new barrel with new sights, new ram rod , because I didn't send one with it,and they sighted it in for me to make sure it shot within grouping,
then they put it in new box, and with instructions all free

Well my T/C rollercoaster ride continued today. After reading here that recent repairs were not what they should be and were taking 8+ weeks, I figured the gun I sent in to T/C 2 weeks ago wouldn't be back for awhile.

I'd had nothing but trouble with my PA Hunter for 13 years since I bought it new. The 1:66 barrel was way less accurate than I expected, the lock eats flints and the stock developed a crack.
T/C told me a month ago that it'd be 4 months or more 'til they could get me a new PA Hunter stock because it's a discontinued model. I asked them at that time to replace the whole gun with a new Hawken with a 1:66 barrel. Took awhile but they agreed. Finally, I thought, I'd get rid of all the problems I'd endured for years all at once.

Today, the new rifle arrived and I opened the box. I'd asked for a nice piece of wood and offered to pay for it but all I got was a note that they "don't have any nice wood anymore".
The stock is brand new, nothing wrong with it, plain & simple walnut.
The barrel is stamped "Roundball 1:66" but it has the %@&*% QLA false bore that I'd asked them not to send me. But ok, I'll live with it.

Then I noticed that had not replaced the lock, it was the same one they sent me last spring that eats BEFs like I eat cheeseburgers. Well, maybe they tuned it for me - I'll wait 'til I get it to the range before passing judgement.

Then I popped the barrel in and checked out the vent location and my heart sank again. The vent is low and to the rear of the pan! On my PA Hunter, it was low and forward in the pan and even the times I did get spark, often the prime ignited but failed to fire the gun. Do these people EVER place a vent in the right place? Here we go again.

PA Hunter
TCLock.jpg

Hawken
TCRifle027.jpg

Then came the icing on the cake - the set trigger does not work at all - will not set the front trigger.

I am totally disgusted with this company. I'm looking for opinions - is there any chance this gun will have any kind of reliable ignition with the vent positioned where it is?
Has anyone ever had this problem with a set trigger - is there an easy fix?

I am tired of paying $20-$25 to return this gun to Rochester. I just want to fix it and sell it so I can go buy a GPR. I'd appreciate help from a knowledgeable source.

the reason the vent is back and not center in pan is because the barrel was set to far back in stock.

i saw this at gun shows,some hawkins would be like yours,others the vent hole was right in middle.

its not your LOCK.

MAYBE ROUNDBALL WILL RESPOND, I BET HE HAS SEEN THIS.

other than getting another stock,i would send it back and ask them to replace with stock that lines it up.

i know you hate shipping and wait,i do too.

as for lock, it looks like the new high one .

they work very good and are 60 degree.

why someone missed that is beyond me but i have a 35 year old one right here as we talk, and its same as yours and i have another one 36 years old and its DEAD CENTER in middle.

Probably the set trigger problem is that the adjustment screw (between the triggers) is screwed in too far. Try backing it out and see if that fixes it. If not, pull the triggers and look to see what is going on. They are not that complicated. Just some looking should show you what is wrong.
Hope this helps, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Back