• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Hawken Round Ball Barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill M.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What might a Round Ball barrel in .50 caliber in good condition be worth these days? Any body know who made these barrels? Are they generally good shooters?

If it is in good shooting shape without pitting I would guess $100-$200 as long as it has original sights and ramrod thimbles. A ramrod helps too. If it has been tapped for a scope or is pitted in the bore that will reduce the value. Also if the serial number begins with a K it is a kit barrel and may lower the value somewhat.

T/C made their own barrels except some very early ones from what has been shared on this forum.

A round ball barrel in .50 caliber for a Thompson Center. What model?

Green Mountain used to offer drop ins and these are likely to most common. They haven't offered them for a number of years as I understand it. I've seen folks mention Rice but I saw nothing in stock last I looked. The T/C custom shop, FOX River I believe, used to sell round ball barrels. If you find a good used T/C Pennsylvania Hunter they came from the factory with a round ball barrel.

Price, I just sold a mint Green Mountain LRH, not for round ball, for $300. I could have asked $400 but I sold it to a friend. Condition is everything, a really good one easily $300 - $400 would be my bet. I also have a Green Mountain round ball barrel I would not sell.

If you can live with a single trigger model the PA Hunter, complete rifle, might be a cost effective option. I've got a PA Hunter Carbine and love it.

I went ahead and bought the barrel. $300. Almost perfect condition. I can not find my bore light right now but a patch through the barrel indicates no problems at all. It says Thompson Center Arms 50 Caliber Hawken on the barrel and it says Round Ball Twist 1-66 on the barrel. I will let you know how it shoots in a week or so. I have a Green Mountain .40 caliber in fair condition. Gave up on finding one in 50 that I wanted to pay for.

I need to consult my catalogue pile to be certain but I'm thinking TC did offer a Hawken with a RB barrel as a target/competition rifle as a production offering for a time or from time to time. If that barrel came from the Fox Ridge shop it will have Fox Ridge Custom roll stamped on it.

I need to consult my catalogue pile to be certain but I'm thinking TC did offer a Hawken with a RB barrel as a target/competition rifle as a production offering for a time or from time to time. If that barrel came from the Fox Ridge shop it will have Fox Ridge Custom roll stamped on it.
Renegades too if I recall correctly.

Back