• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

THOMPSON CENTER NEW ENGLANDER 54CAL.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. I'll take a shot at this one. (pun alert!)
I have owned several T/C rifles in .50 and .54 with the infamous 1:48 do everything, but not very well, twist rate.
Accuracy with HUNTING charges of 90 to 100 grains of 2fg were poor with p/r/b/ and mediocre with bullets.
However, I just had to buy a used but unfired Lyman Deerstalker because the asking price was 140 bucks. Too good to pass up and I figured it would make a nice rainy day drag it thru the brush carbine and the accuracy at 50 yards or so would be alright on deer sized game.
Well what I surprise I had as it too has the 1:48 twist.
Using just the junk but passable issued factory sights the thing would group about any bullet except the super heavy White bullets into 2.5" at 100 yards. I got several 1" bullet groups at 50 and with 90 to 100 grains of 2fg.
I fooled around with LIGHT loads and p/r/b and at 25 yards I can put 5 shots into one ragged hole with 50 grains of 2fg.
Upping to 70 grains and 50 yards, the p/r/b would group 1.5"
O.K. that's very versitile. I can use the thing for everything from rabbits to deer.
I don't know why this particular rifle shoots so well with the 1:48 twist and with so many different loads and bullets and I don't have to adjust the sights one bit.
This is a keeper. I don't need it, but it is a handy dandy shorty with it's 24" barrel. I won't part with it because it's a real shooter.
The only thing that I noticed about the Lyman vs. the T/C is that the Lyman rifling does appear to be deeper cut than the T/C, but I have not measured the depth of either.

Maxiball I have a older t/c flinter in 50 cal.that has the 1 in 48 twist and no QLA and I have to say it shoots well ,from maxi-ball to sabot bullets.I also heard from many lyman owners that shoot the deer stalker @ the trade rifle model both having a 1 in 48 twist shoot outstanding.
I have a lyman GPR in 50 cal. with a 1 in 32 twist that I have not had a chance to shoot yet.
I bought the rifle new for $225.00 like yourself the deal was hard to pass,My first choice was the trade rifle in 54 cal.
I see only one draw back with the GPR the rifle is heavy ,lyman say the gun is about 9 pounds maybe more like 10lbs.

As I have said before, my T/C .54 precussion Hawken with it's 1:48 twist will make one ragged hole in a target all day long with a PRB and a 70 grain FFg load.

It outshoots most of my high doller guns.

WELL THE DEAL WENT THREW $190.00 FOR A NEW ,NEW ENGLANDER 54 CAP LOCK
THE GENTLEMENT WHO SOLD THE GUN SAY IT WAS TAKING IN ON A TRADE GUN HAS NEVER BEEN FIRED COMES WITH ORGINAL BOX AND PAPER WORK FROM T/C N.R.A. RATED 100 PERCENT NEW CONDITION.

I had a T/C Renagade before in .54 caliber (flint lock)...

I had no regrets with the large bore T/C rifle, I ended up giving it to a newcommer to flint locks once I got my Brown Bess...

I think you will enjoy it for years to come... :applause:

I believe that as long as you keep your powder charges moderate 85 - 110 grains and stay with mid-sized sabots and conicals say 300 - 425 grains, a 1:48" twist will do very well... especially in a .54. The New Englander has very good balance and a decent trigger. It is an excellent brush gun.

lonewolf: I have the Lyman GPR in .54 and 1:32 twist rate, and it is a real shooter. I put a Lyman peep on her and she will make 1" groups at 75 yards if I do my part. I had to admit to using sabots, but I do, and this Lyman shoots the 335 grain .45 sabot h.p. over 100 grains of 2fg very well.
In fact I made a real pretty offfhand shot ona meat doe one year.
She was facing me head on at 80 long paces. The bullet hit square in the chest and she dropped like a stone without a twitch. I found the bullet near the rear flank mushroomed to nearly 3/4".

Maxiball I can't waite to get out to the range and try the lyman GPR 50 cal. @ now also the New Englander.I will start off shooting the R E A L 320 grain in the 50 cal @ the 380 grain in the 54cal.
I found that my 50cal. flinter from t/c will shoot a 350 grain keith nose lead HP. sabot excellent at 50 yards about a 2 inch groupe seem the rifle shoot better then I can see.(iron sight are ruff these eyes are not what they use to be) :( ::

lonewolf5347, I'm located on the other side of the country, in Oregon. Kmart sold this rifle, and I found that the people who brought this rifle, were just getting into Black Powder, They liked the round barrel, and the stock was more modern to their taste. The price you paid for it, was a good price. Six years ago the selling price was $219.97.
With alot of time talking to Kmart's Western Region Rep, I was finally given, the okay to sell, the older style Black Powder rifle. Those who were into Black Power,brought this rifle. For me,I wanted a T/C Hawkens 54cal. I love shooting that rifle. Now I've added a T/C Hawkens 50cal Flintlock. I can't wait to shoot that one.
Take care, Steve :)

I've got a few percussion & flintlock TC Hawkens in various calibers..TC has redesigned and improved their flint lock assemblies during the recent few years and they're perfect now...100% reliable...you should enjoy it a lot.

roundball,
Thanks for your comments. I saw your picture with your two bucks, They looked great. What kind of loads were you using? Can't wait for more sun less rain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Take care, Steve :)

Mtn-Man2u I also have a t/c 50 cal. hawkens flinter that I love to shoot was made in 1977 .I also have a t/c thunderhawk in 54 cal. inline and now in 54 cal. the New Englander I thought the price was right on the N/E and I wanted a 54 cal. should be here by next week.

I shoot TC Hawkens .45, .50, and .54 caliber rifles, with TC .018" prelubed pillow ticking patches in all of them, using Hornady .440, .490, and .530 balls.

I use the same Goex FFFg loads in all calibers...60grns for targets, 90grns for deer hunting...fast, clean and accurate.

If your TC Hawken has a flimsy wooden ramrod, suggest you get another one...the flimsy wood will break and you can seriously hurt yourself. I replace all of mine with solid brass rods...makes the Hawkens look even better, they're strong as all get out, and the extra weight improves accuracy as the barrel just hangs dead still on the tagrget.

Well the New Englander came in to day, gun is new not a scratch on it and it seems it was never fired.

roundball, Thanks for your powder loads, I also use FFF powder. I got a great on powder, I coundn't pass it up. My ramrod is fiberglass. Where did you find all brass ramrod? I haven't checked all my catalogs yet. But it does sound like it really dresses it up.
Take care, Mtn-Man2u :)

I'm sure there's lots of places but two I've used are:
October Country, Idaho at 800-735-6348
Warren Muzzleloading, Arkansas at 800-874-3810
They'll make whatever size you want, tap the ends for the thread size you want...$15 + a few for shipping.

I've found that a 'range rod' a few inches longer than the regular ramrod is a real convenience for me...wooden balls are available with a threaded screw imbedded in it so it just screws into one of the 10/32" threaded ends.

I took the advice of others when using any ramrod that could be abrasive to the muzzle, which was to use a plastic or brass "muzzle protector", at least during range trips where you're putting a lot of strokes up and down the bore.

Back