• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at the gun shop yesterday and saw a nice .50 TC, very nice, flintlock.
I think the barrel length said 28", it had double set triggers, half stock, browned barrel, adjustable rear, brass bead front and a cheek rest, what looked like a fiberglass rod... I guess I'm curious of the model (if that's enough to go by... but what I'm really curious about is the way the hammer interacts with the frizzen.

With the hammer down and the frizzen closed the spur is roughly the same height as the top of the frizzen. And they are dang close. I don't have large hands and could barely grab enough spur to cock the hammer. Is that normal/correct?

Would anyone know the barrel twist? Or did they come in different twists?

I think I saw the percussion version on GI this morning, but with a wooden rod, and it was described as "Hawkin like". His spelling, not mine.

I was thinking of taking another look, but with my bore mirror. Or maybe I should take in my new scope, lol.
At a price tag of $449 (always negotiable there) and TC no longer making them... it has me thinking. I don't want to drag my feet like I did with Lyman's GPR when they were readily available. And my first ML when I was a kid might have been this model. So it has a nostalgia thing going for it.

Yay, nay, poo-poo because of the sights?

A picture would be very helpful. The twist is normally 1:48. Here is a picture of a TC Hawken. Does it look like this?
1686835419283.png

If the gun had a brass patchbox it was a Hawken model, if not it could be Renegade, the Renegade came with a single trigger and some with a double set, all Hawkens has a double set unless someone installed the TC single trigger kit.

Hawken;

TC Hawken.jpg

Renegade;

TC Renegade.jpg

Both of the above were 1 in 48 twist, the exception would be one with the barrel marked "Pennsylvania Hunter" which would be 1 in 66 for round balls.

All TC flintlock locks are the same, I never had a problem cocking one. They did come up with a hammer upgrade from the original one that had a better striking angle.

The new one is on top, the old one below.

New old tc flintlock lock.jpg

It could be a 'hawken' model, not a very good replica of original Hawkens but still good shooters. The browned barrel indicates it was modified. From factory the had blued barrels. Not sure of your description of "spur". Need good pics to give an opinion.

A picture would be very helpful. The twist is normally 1:48. Here is a picture of a TC Hawken. Does it look like this? View attachment 228444

I can't see if it has a brass bead. And I'm 80% sure it did not have a patch box.
But yes, generally speaking it looked very similar.

If you saw that sitting the rack today would you buy it?

Thanks on the twist rate.

If the gun had a brass patchbox it was a Hawken model, if not it could be Renegade, the Renegade came with a single trigger and some with a double set, all Hawkens has a double set unless someone installed the TC single trigger kit.

Hawken;

View attachment 228439

Renegade;

View attachment 228456

Both of the above were 1 in 48 twist, the exception would be one with the barrel marked "Pennsylvania Hunter" which would be 1 in 66 for round balls.

All TC flintlock locks are the same, I never had a problem cocking one. They did come up with a hammer upgrade from the original one that had a better striking angle.

The new one is on top, the old one below.

View attachment 228438

Thanks for the info.
Renegade. That was the one I had a long time ago. Single trigger though.

I looked at the barrel and did not see PA hunter...

So would you buy one again? Whether it's a Hawken or Renegade?
I really don't have a *need* for one... I have a Traditions Tenn Rifle that shoots just fine.
But we all know how that goes ;)

It could be a 'hawken' model, not a very good replica of original Hawkens but still good shooters. The browned barrel indicates it was modified. From factory the had blued barrels. Not sure of your description of "spur". Need good pics to give an opinion.

Maybe on ML's it's called something else.
But a spur is the part on a hammer you put your thumb on to cock it. This one the screw for the jaw is so close to the frizzen there wasn't a way to get my thumb on it.

If in good condition with a good bore anything under $400 is probably a decent price if it is something you want. A bargain would be $350 or less based on prices in the classifieds here.

Interesting.
I thought they might have been worth a little more.
Thanks.

I called (they aren't exactly close) and it does have a patch box and is a kit gun.
He dropped fifty bucks and we split the sales tax. So she's mine.

The bore looks like it has never been shot. Nice and shiny.

I'm going to look through TOTW's sight pages and see if they offer replacements, but just eyeballing it they looked like typical 3/8 cut.

Thanks for those that offered answers to my questions.

Most T/C's were a compromise 1 in 48 shallow groove rifling supposedly to shoot both round balls and maxi balls. Like most compromises it doesn't excel at either. Many I have known with a flint lock have had problems getting them to fire consistently.

Latest posts

Back