• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson worth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarcasmn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old TC Hawken flint in really good condition with the original Thompson scope. The serial number is 1976. A local is telling me it has some antique or collectors value.

I was going to change the furniture and put iron sights on it and use as a hunting rifle. Does it have any value other than the 350.00 I paid for it. Kinda curious before I change anything. There are pick in another thread I'd needed

sarcasmn said:
Does it have any value other than the 350.00 I paid for it.
Nope.
It's really a regional thing. Some areas of our country have now and have in the past a larger following of Traditional Ml's than others.
Here in Minn TC Hawkens can be found for 150-200 on a regular basis.

My 92 Buick Century qualifies for "collector plates",
Is it an antique?

As a side note,
Guy's seem to want to customize the TC Hawken all the time, but the bottom line is it'll always be a TC Hawken.
"Look at my gun, isn't it nice?"
,"Well yeah, but ain't that TC Hawken?"

Kinda live the Chevy nova of flinters huh? I was just going to change the brass furniture for iron. Maybe brown the barrel and put an L&R lock in it. Would have a total of 500 bucks into a good reliable hunting rifle

bein' as it's a flinter they tend to go for a bit more so ya could likely get back what ya paid for it. but with millions of t/c's out there it'll be a long time before even the rarer versions have any real value & then it'll mostly be for new-in-box ones. best thing to do is figger out what it's worth to you & fix it up to suit yer personal taste.

my opinion & yer welcome to it.

you mention 'original Thompson
scope...' I was unaware that T/C supplied scopes on flintlock rifles, but I may well be in error. I do not think scoped flintlock rifles are appropriate, and I wouldn't own one, but if that's what suits your needs, then by all means, make yourself happy.

As regards the cash value of it, this will depend on the region, the time of year (i.e. a month before deer season is a better time to sell a rifle than a month after deer season) and the condition of the rifle and its component parts. Check out the gun auction sites and you should get a 'ballpark' idea ... at worst case, cruise over to your local pawn shop or gun store and show them what you have - if you leave with money and no gun, you'll be happy, and if you leave with a gun and no money, you'll have information.

just one guy's opinion ... free and no doubt well worth the price.​

Here in Pa., a good condition TC Hawken or Renegade flintlock will get you in the neighborhood of $450.00 between now and the day after Xmas.

Our flintlock season starts then, and you are allowed to fill an unused buck tag with a doe. The only time its allowed. There are guys always wanting to get a doe with that unused tag, to put meat in the freezer.

But the scope would be a no-no! No telescopic sights allowed during Second Season!

From what I am able to assess, I was being led down the river. The gun shop owner was trying to convince me to trade it for one of the cap lock TC's he has. I bought this one because I wanted a flint rifle. This is a really nice early TC, but it's not like there is a great collectors demand. I will continue with my original plans and put some iron sights on it and make it a great hunting rifle.

Mostly my fault for not checking on the information I was getting. But hey, That's one of the great things about this forum.

Here in CT I've seen brand new sold for 400-425.00 so not much especially when Cabelas was charging around 750-800 for one. Used about 150-250 depending on the condition.
Good luck with the project

Latest posts

Back