• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Those "little" .50's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As game gets larger than deer, bone density/thickness really goes up. I don't see any problems killing with a 50 if I don't hit a major bone. But in fact I've never hit a major bone to have any reason for worrying about it.

But I still do. I prefer larger cals for the larger animals on the "assumption" that the bigger hunk-o-lead, is going to be better for getting past big bones if one is hit.

Theory rather than experience, but I sleep a lot better with a bigger pipe on top of a rifle stock.

...and I agree with both flehto and brown bear and would say that, if you decide to use a .50 round ball, you must know animal anatomy, be willing to pass on marginal shots/angles and take only "archery" shots. For me, I enjoy the challenge of a "lesser" weapon to make the hunt more exciting. If you don't want that kind of challenge, use a heavier projectile.

I chose my .50 because it is big enough to do the job on white tails and there is no shortage of sundries and extras for the 50.

I have a .54 rifle and a smooth .56 I could use, but my .50 is the hunting gun I have the most confidence shooting and hitting my target.

All the pictures of critters taken with a .50 posted here on the MLF and all the stories of hunters using the .50 sold me on the caliber a long time ago.

(the one deer I shot was with a conical, because I missed another deer earlier with my PRB, and I use a .50, 275 grain conical for my fast reload)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good job guy's.How could anyone question a 50 cal.Just ask the dead animals LOL.Griz

I saw a deer shot through the lungs with a .36 caliber round ball and 20 grains of powder. It ran 30 yards before expiring. I use my .58 virgina rifle with 75-80 grains of powder to shoot everything from bears to deer, wouldn't hesitate to take a moose with that load if I ever get a tag. I have lots of respect for any caliber of round ball.

I know the .50 round ball works very well for deer. Most of the deer here in my part of PA are not huge deer; very few exceptions and even then I wouldn't feel under powered because I know I can hit well. I work with a rifle until I find the most accurate load without concern with powder charge as long as it's over 60 grains in a .50 it will take deer.

A few years back I bought a .54 Lyman Deerstalker that I like a lot but I also like my .50's too. The rifle I use hunting most is a TC PA hunter 1/66 twist with a 21" barrel; 80 grains Goex 2f; .495 ball/.020 patch; Hoppe lube. Knocks the center out of a pie plate all day long and a joy to carry.

I have long barrels; short barrels; and they all shoot good. Too many flinters but I just can't seem to part with any of them.

Well I do have one that probably needs to go. It's one I picked up when I was young and dumber. It's a good shooting rifle but it doesn't fit in with the family. It just doesn't get used anymore and it's lost it appeal to me.

It's a RMC Accusporter flint rifle 1/28 twist GM barrel. It shoots those pointy little pistol bullet wrapped in plastic. I do think it needs to find a new home and someone that will love it. :thumbsup:

Shot placement will always over come fire power,,or so I was always told,,so far it has proven to be true.

Back