• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on a back up gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Response to Swamp Rat I am very sorry for the late reply I have been very busy, thanks so much for the response I will be in that area next week, thanks again . Shifty

For dangerous game with a muzzleloader I would have to give the Kodiak my vote.

It's no flinter but I spent a week this summer camping/trekking right against the Yellowstone boarder in Idaho. The big double was VERY comforting.

Handguns for back up are not allowed in Canada, But they can be your best back-up tool if you know how to use one. I walked up on a downed black bear (44 in hand) when I poked him with my toe the bear jumped right up at my feet, I shot the bear right between the ears at about 8 inches, the 44 blew the whole top of his head off. I was a dumb teenager at the time or I would have given the bear time to die before walking up to him. That as it may, I would not have traded the 44 for a rifle as it was just to close. :hatsoff:

I think you should be considering ONLY a partner who is armed with a 12 gauge PUMP Shotgun, loaded with slugs, if you need a back-up for bears. They do make folding stock models( that may not be legal in Canada) that are nice packages to carry on a sling over your back, and can be fired pistol style. However, they do weigh more than 8 lbs. and definitely fit in the category of " gear I left behind ". Far better to have a hunting partner who is armed.

Many of the guides are now substituting Marlin Model 95 Guide guns in .45-70, and .450 Marlin, with short barrels, that are ported at the muzzle, and take-down for easy transport, replacing their older Winchester Model 70s, in .375 Magnum.

With stout reloads and heavy bullets the old .45-70 makes a powerful short range firearm. One was used with 420 Corbon Bullets a couple of years ago to kill an African Buffalo, and the bullet passed completely through the chest and killed a second buffalo on the other side of the one that was shot, because neither the Gunwriter, or his PH was able to see the second buffalo. The .450 Marlin Cartridge was specifically designed for this kind of work, and the factory ammo is designed to give deep penetration, while expanding. Velocity is very close to the older .458 Magnum. As much as I love my .44 mags., they are not bear medicine for wounded Brown, and polar bears, even with a 300 grain bullet.

The technical improvements in bullet construction in the past 10 years has been awesome, and few people yet understand how much better the bullets are that are being produced for killing large game.

And, there is always the S&W .500 Magnum cartridge, that is also available in rifles. I have not heard any firsthand reports on it being used on game, but the large frontal area of the slugs, along with the velocity, has to be able to get the attention of even the largest bears.

paulvallandigham said:
Many of the guides are now substituting Marlin Model 95 Guide guns in .45-70, and .450 Marlin, with short barrels, that are ported at the muzzle, and take-down for easy transport, replacing their older Winchester Model 70s, in .375 Magnum

Thats what I switched to after said incident.
I shoot 48 grns of Reloader seven with a 300 grn Nosler partition.
Devistating to say the least.

Back