• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thread and Patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flinter987

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I have a deer hide that I was able to tan hair on with
Cabela's hide tanning solution. I would like to
make a coonskin-style hat and maybe a possibles
bag. I had a few questions about this.
1. What type of thread should I use for sewing?
2. Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for
a possibles bag that would be PC for the late
mountain man through early western expansion
era?
Thank-You,
Fred

1. Waxed linen thread
2. At least 2 of the 'Book of Buckskinning' volumes have patterns. Some by the old master hisself, Madison Grant; some by Steve Lalioff, who looks to be a good stitcher.

You'll have a little extra work stitching 'hair on' leather, but you can't beat the look.

Waxed linen thread can usualy be found in the craft section of Wally World stores; otherwise you may need to order it (and some good needles) from a leather supplier.

If you are going to pre-punch your holes, you can use medium-large tapestry needles (also from Wal-Mart), but if you're going to sew without pre-punching, glover's needles (from a leather supplier) will make your life easier and usually result in a neater job. You can get away with sharpening a large tapestry needle into a three-sided glover's style needle if needed - not ideal, but it works.

M

ps. If you use glover's needles don't forget the hydrogen peroxide and band-aids... they ARE designed to poke holes in hide! :winking:

Tandy used to carry linen thread in medium sized spools. You wax this stuff by drawing it thru a lump of beeswax. That's the most traditional/economical way to do it, but they don't carry it anymore.
Failing that, many suppliers carry small spools of prewaxed linen thread. (Stay away from artificial sinew.) Tandy, Zack White, Leather Unlimited in Belgium WI, there are more, but I'm at work and don't have my resources at hand.
Hope this helps;
Moose

PS:
I forgot to mention that I will try to post
pictures if and when I get these projects done.
I want to make a knife case and hat,but I don't
know if I will have enough leather for a bag as well.

Flinter987 said:
Hello Guys,
I have a deer hide that I was able to tan hair on with
Cabela's hide tanning solution. I would like to
make a coonskin-style hat and maybe a possibles
bag.

Please don't wear the deer hair hat out while hunting, there are "hunters" that will shoot at anything that even slightly looks like a deer...

The Log Cabin shop in Lodi, Ohio carries a big selection of various patterns...
[url] http://www.logcabinshop.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked out our local walmart today and they don't carry the waxed linen thread, but I see there is a lot of other places to go. I also like the pattern that The Log Cabin Shop carries for possibles bags.
Thanks again guys,
Fred

Flinter987 said:
I checked out our local walmart today and they don't carry the waxed linen thread, but I see there is a lot of other places to go. I also like the pattern that The Log Cabin Shop carries for possibles bags.
Thanks again guys,
Fred

Hey Flinter987,

You won't find it in the fabric and thread sections of Walmart. Go to the craft section where you find the beading supplies for making necklaces and such. You will find a package of "waxed linen cord" hanging on the wall next to the leather cording. Price was $1.96 last week when I bought some.

The linen thread that I bought from Jas. Townsend is fine for sewing fabric, but too thin to use on leather.

Here's a link to a place that has various sizes of linen thread Wood Hamlet Designs.
-----------------------------------------------
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Back