• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thread size for GPR ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might add that if a belt sander isn't available a good flat mill file will work very nicely to remove the wood.

My method is similar to yours except to get a nice tight joint where the metal meets the full diameter of the ramrod I first measure the depth of the hole in the metal end.

I then make a small mark on the ramrod that is 1/32-1/16 less than the depth of the metal tips hole.

Putting a Hobby knifes blade on this mark and holding the blade square with the axis of the ramrod I rotate the rod on a table letting the blade cut a circular mark on the rod.
After several rotations, the mark will be as deep as the metal tips wall is thick.

Then, using the same hobby knife held at a 45 degree angle to the outside of the rod I cut down from the tip end until the cut intersects the circular groove I cut by rolling the rod.

This gives a nice reference point to file the diameter of the wood down to.
I file this wood off by taking 1 stroke and then rotating the rod about 1/8 turn and repeat until the filed diameter is a snug fit to the inside of the metal tip.

The rest of my method is similar to yours except I bought a piece of 1/16 diameter brass rod at the local hardware store and I use a 1/16 inch drill bit to drill the cross hole.

I also use my pocket knife to form a countersink on each end of the crossdrilled hole to pound the cross pins ends into before filing the excess flush.

Back