• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Throwing blocks!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 'hawk stand is also of tripod design, but the 'rear' leg is 'notched' 10" from the upper end on the 'bottom' and 4" from the end at the top. It fits between the tops of the other two pieces and there is a cross member near the top of the 'A' that accepts the bottom notch of the rear leg. This makes it, in effect, a two piece stand and makes for easier transport.

My 'hawk block consists of 30 4" 4X4 pieces (5 wide, 6 long) secured in a 2X4 frame backed with plywood with eye bolts at the top corners. I use a piece of sisal rope through the eyebolts and 'hooked' in the top notch to hang the block.

It's heavy, but it's extremely portable and when it starts to get chewed up, I simply replace the blocks as needed.

Seems to me that I'm not doing a very good job of describing it, but the pic I took with my phone came through as a bmp (instead of jpg) and my "photo host" won't accept bmp images. :cursing:

Hi Stumpjumper, I am really sorry that I took so long to answer your reply. I am reluctant to post comments because I easily forget about them and it might be taken as me being rude. I am up here in Susquehanna Co., half way between Montrose and Towanda. You are welcome hear anytime, just bring your muzzleloader. Shoot me a PM and we can hammer out the details.

The Kansan said:
***SNIP***

Seems to me that I'm not doing a very good job of describing it, but the pic I took with my phone came through as a bmp (instead of jpg) and my "photo host" won't accept bmp images. :cursing:

If you are on a PC, an easy way to turn it into a jpg is to open it in Paint and save it as a jpg. Here's how if you're not familiar with it:
1. click on the start button
2. select programs
3. select the "accessories" folder
4. select "Paint" from the list that unfolds
5. drag and drop the .bmp file onto the middle of the page, or use the "open" command from the file menu at the top.
6. after the image opens in paint, click on "file", then select "save as"
7. On the "save as" dialog box that opens, change the file type to "Jpeg".
8. Save it on your hard drive and then post the picture on the forum!

Love to see the pics.

Hope this helps,
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

My vote goes for elm of any kind. Elm doesn't like to split, it has an interlocking grain. Throwing a hawk at a target produces splitting force. When I was actively throwing, my club used nothing but elm. It took a beating bet kept on working. Big elm butts are probably most easly procured from a three removal service, unless you get lucky and find one fallen over. This dead wood works as well as the green. The last elm I saw cut was cut with a two-man crosscut saw, as no chain saw big enough was available.

Here is mine.

MVC-001S-2.jpg
[/img]

I have a variety of throwing knives but stick with my two favorite H&B pioneer style throwers. Yeh, the old pro throw bowies are nice, but they just don't have it.

As far as hawks, I have a custome made one that is similar to the large H&B. My prized H&B was stolen at a rendezvous, no, not by a vendor or participant, but rather by a visitor. Edgar saw him walking away with it and asked me later why I sold it. When I told him I had not, he mentioned that he did not think I would sell it.

Danny made me a replacement out of a few steel horseshoes he had at the homestead.

The one H&B throwing knife was a gift from a dear friend who won it at Friendship, back in the 70's.

Both prized possesions.

Claude,

Would you mind posting the deminsions of your tripod? I really like the looks of it, the one I threw together seems to take up a lot of room in the backyard, and somewhat overshadows the block itself.

Thanks,
T.

Quiet Thunder said:
Claude,

Would you mind posting the deminsions of your tripod? I really like the looks of it, the one I threw together seems to take up a lot of room in the backyard, and somewhat overshadows the block itself.

Thanks,
T.

Each of the three legs is about 68 inches.
Cross piece under block: 21 in.
Cross piece at top: 9 in.
Distance from top of cross piece (under block) to ground: 30 in.
Block: 26 in. diameter

The block is held in place by two lag bolts, through the legs (from rear).

twisted_1in66 said:
The Kansan said:
***SNIP***

7. On the "save as" dialog box that opens, change the file type to "Jpeg".
8. Save it on your hard drive and then post the picture on the forum!

Love to see the pics.

Hope this helps,
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Helped a bunch, thank you! Here's the first pic - a side view that shows the notches that I mentioned and the top of the 'block' as it sits in my back yard. I'll try to post a front view tomorrow. Thanks again!

...Don...

Hey Kansan;
how did you secure the blocks in the frame. I was going to screw mine in from the back through the plywood. can you use the pressure treated 4x4's for it or are they to hard? I was also going to use 6" long blocks, is 4" sturdy enough?

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yep, I screwed 'em in from the back. Pressure treated might be kinda' tough, but you can try it. I also used expanding foam to kinda' seal and tighten things up from the front - It helps act as a shock absorber and doesn't prevent removing and replacing the blocks. And 4" is plenty sturdy. (Unless you're throwing double-bit axes or something.)

...Don...

I was foolish enough to try a piece of ash. Way too hard!!! hawk bounces off even with good hits.

Back