• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thunder'd down in the Swamp tonight!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this sure was a head scratcher..I went out this morning to examine the entrance hole as I really didn't spend any time looking for it last night. I assumed I hit close to where I was aiming and only lifted his head enough to wipe with a rag before picture taking. There was barely a watery red smudge on the rag but other than that we were concerned with other things and not where I actually hit him. Surprisingly I had to go looking for it today and when I did, it barely looks like a wound, having no blood at all there only a few watery red drops but not what one would expect. I did find I shot lower than I had thought...

Tonight we skinned and quartered him and was amazed to have a complete skinned carcass hanging in front of us that had no sign of a wound, no blood on it at all. Just a nice clean skinned carcass. :shocked2: The neck meat showed no sign of a wound. :youcrazy: It wasn't until we took out the left loin that we saw sign of a wound. Just before my uncle was joking this animal died of fright and I never shot him. :haha: But after examining the evidence, we determined, the ball entered the neck at a downward angle (the buck was lower than I was)it entered just below the height of the spine running horizontally, pretty much much where the spine turns into neck..you can see one or two ribs it hit on the top left side and continued into the body. Now, this explains the little bit of gut material we found when gutting the animal and were sure it wasn't caused by a knife. This also explains why the chest cavity was full of blood and why he didn't loose more than a couple drops from the wound. The worst part, there was no exit hole which means the ball was in the gut and now resides in the local dump. :( Kinda sucks, I wanted that ball...

DSCF4004.JPG

DSCF4005.JPG

DSCF4011.JPG

DSCF4012.JPG

Wow very little blood shot in the wound from what I can see. Bummer about losing the RB.

well..............it worked! :shocked2: too bad bout the ball...been neat to see the results...great pics! :thumbsup:
now..........try it with a bow...arrow be easier to find! :haha:

Its the craziest thing I've ever seen. Can't ever remember such a clean wound like this before...We did notice and remark about all the dark blood that was in the chest cavity when we cut the diaphram out. I almost believe I nicked that main artery that lies just under the spine and he just massively bled out right there... :hmm:

Oh yeah!! Job well done! He's a beautiful buck, his rack'll look nice on your wall and his meat will taste good on yer tongue!

And all with a smoothbore. Well, not just ANY smoothbore, right? Hey Roy, you got dibs on the rib roast!

Another great story and pictures. Thanks again for sharing, and congratultions! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back