• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tighting a leonard day swivel breech rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordite

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a chance to buy a leonard day swivel breech 50 cal rifle. Have always wanted one but the owner says it is loose and may need new pins. Have read here that there is a way to tighten them up. Can anyone give me any particulars? Want to know what I'm getting into before buying. Thanks!

Would that be the one on the CLA site? If so I inquired also and passed on it for that very reason. I thought the price was to good to be true.

Take out the tang and cross bolt removing the lock and removing the but from the barrel / breech assembly.

You will find 2 nuts and a brass spring washer on the breech bolt connecting the two breech sections. Sometimes that washer wears down, sometimes the nuts just need snugging. bottom nut tightens the action top nut locks in bottom nut.

My twistlock Jaeger is made from a Day action and I need to do this every 5-7 years with it to snug everything back up.

Bryan Brown www.gunsmithy.com www.jaegerkorp.org

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back