• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Time for metal finishes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannerbollum

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So after getting much help with wood finishes, and putting the great advice to good use, I need help with the metal. I want it dark brown. What products should be used? Hot brown for the small pieces and cold brown the barrel right? But what brands and what methods? Thank you all in advance.

LMF browning, coat it as per instructions.....I have a big screw in the wall next to the shower. The more coats, the deeper the brown. 5 coats/5 carvings will get nice results. Following the instructions will achieve on all the metal your desired results.
Screws too.

perfect! Exactly what I was looking for thank you so much! When browning the lock should the pan be browned or polished?

wabuilder said:
perfect! Exactly what I was looking for thank you so much! When browning the lock should the pan be browned or polished?

Brown everything.....the flint will still spark!....
Just remember to grease the lock on the inside parts as you reassemble....don't want your metal to gaul....and i do protect my threads from the rusting with a little hand soap....and I make sure the rust has stopped before screwing them back in it.

Polish the inside of the pan. Historically it seems that most locks were not browned, but eventually turned over time. I finish the lock with phosphoric acid, commonally sold as rust remover. It initialy gives sort of an antique gray finish.

So it seems like its not PC to brown the pan(and frizzen I'm assuming) but it will work if I do. Which method will work the best when shooting? Thanks everybody those are some nice pictures by the way

I think browning has a limited geographical and temporal area/era of HC usage (maybe post 1800 and builder specific). If historic correctness is of concern do some research to determine where and when it was applied. Gunsmith Of Greenville County has a few paragraphs on the topic.

wabuilder: YES LMF browning solution is the best IMHO. Just about fool proof. Some suggestions:
1. Although cleaning isn't required I would clean with rubbing alcohol, let evaporate and then handle with gloves.
2. I sand down to 320 grit. I tried going to #600 grit paper but the surface was TOO SMOOTH for the rust to form evenly. You are better stopping at #320. The browned finish itself will have a little roughness which means the finish when the metal was polished down to #600 versus #320 polished metal is the same. A lot of very good builders only polish down to a #240 grit.
3. ONE WIPE ONLY, don't go back over the same area to "make sure" you got all the surfaces covered with the solution. Going over the same area can produce a copper color that then DOESN'T rust that well. One swipe. Don't worry if you missed a spot- just get it the next time.

So alright seems easy enough but what are you guys using for a "tight fitting wood barrel plug"? And should the sights be installed/touch hole drilled before this step? And finnaly is this solution going to damage my shower? Should I lay something down to protect it? Once again thank you for bearing with me on these rookie questions.

Nope- assume nothing, ask all the questions you have.
1. On the tight fitting plug. I assume you mean at the end of the barrel. You'll need to whittle that out of some soft wood and the way I do it- that plug becomes very important because it does double duty. Not only does it keep the solution out of the bore- it also serves as a handle for holding the barrel. I hammer the plug into the bore so it fits tight. I tap, not pound.
2. On the sights, leave them off while you brown the barrel so you can get a nice even swipe of solution along the flat. NOW a lot of nice browning jobs get marred afterwards while driving in the sights. You need a brass drift and the easiest thing is a brass bolt with a hex head. File down the hex until it matches the dovetail slot in the barrel- then you have a good drift to drive in the sight afterwards. Be very careful because if the drift slips off it will scratch your browning job. You might want to put some card board shields around the area.
3. "Final Finish" after 5 or6 coats, depending on the humidity in your area, you are pretty much done. What you have may not look like what you wanted. Applying Linseed Oil OR beeswax will "even out" and smooth/shine the finish and make it look better. You do this after the soda wash which neutralizes the rusting chemicals.
What should you use, Linseed Oil or Beeswax? Folks differ on this so try a little of both on the bottom flat that is hidden by the forestock. Decide which of the two you prefer.
4. Shower? I made a wood cabinet with a heat lamp and a towel rack (damp towel) because I do a lot of browning- I further lock in humidity with a plastic leaf bag over the box. Recently I realized I was overdoing it, the barrels brown well just resting them against a wall.
If you have low humidity think about some sort of box. A cardboard box would probably work fine, Set the barrel against one side and maybe put a damp rag in a pie plate on the bottom- away from the barrel.
The first coat or two won't be even, that's when a lot of folks panic and try to go back and forth with the solution, covering every spot. Remember, just make one long, slow swipe per flat and if you didn't get every spot don't worry, you'll get it on the next application.
On the carding, with LMF you just use hot water (distilled) and a terry cloth rag. You really should not have loose rust- removing loose rust is the purpose of carding. Don't fret on this, wipe it down with a couple of strokes of the terry cloth and you're done.
If anything is not clear- keep asking more questions.

Thank you so much for such an informative answer! I'll get this barrel going right away. I'm so close to finished now.

So I hate to bring up an old thread but....I am just about to brown my barrel and I realized that I dont no if I need to protect my touch hole a tooth pick or something once again thanks for responses

It's always advisable to protect your touch hole! :wink:
Seriously though, You'll want to plug the hole and the muzzle as well throughout the browning process.

Back