• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

time fur bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
well gang bear opens tommorrow here in wa. thinking of using my .54 a cast r.e.a.l. bullet 380 grains and 90 grains of pyro p. think this stop a bear? most of the bear where I hunt are around 250-300 pounders.

Yes, without a doubt, providing you do your part. So heres hoping you get a shot at one and have some fun! :thumbsup:

.54 round ball is bad medicine for bears ,just poke them in the vitals and the ball will do the rest.

what distance do you expect to be from your prey,

are you hunting over bait or spot and stock?

I go in oct. for bear this year and I will have a .54 call in my hands.

cheers and good luck

Absolutely that will do it! Have fun, make a good shot, and it'll be down in seconds. That sounds like a hot load (Pyro P). I've just used 80gr. 2f & 3f in my .50 flintlock. It works fine if I do my part. Good luck!

it will be spot and stock. they will not let yes use bait here any more. shots I'm hoping will be 50-60 yards.

Ya, I had to re-read your post. I was thinking 90 gr. of 3f, pushing a bullet of that weight. I was relating it to my .54 when I shot 90 gr. of pyro with a buffalo bullet. Accuracy was good, by not better than a prb and it kicked worse. That's where my TC became a "cheek slapper".

yup she kicks but with FFFg I don't get the cheek slap. FFg kicks like a mule and slaps the cheek hard! still no bear didn't get a chance to get up real high on the mountian yet plus it's HOT here still. don't think I'll see one low yet. ( around 1500-2000 feet)

well gang bears are getting lower. berrys arn't ripe yet up high. so there moving in on camp stight and from what I've sene there cranky. still yet to get one. hope to go out tomorrow if the honey do list is small :rotf:

I'll be going the first week of september. 6 of us in camp we all hunt with flinters. I'll be using my .62 tulle this year. We always do better than the modern guys in the other camp. We've never wounded and lost a bear. The other guys lose 2 or 3 in a week. Roundballs hit like a truck.

is your .62 a smoothy? sounds like a good one for bear. good luck on your hunt.

Yes its a smoothy. I shot one a few years back with a .54 smoothbore tulle. Probably the first bear killed in maine with one of those in 200 years.

Back