• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tip Curtis Frontier Shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I paid Tip a visit yesterday to get Colerain 54 Smooth bore fowler barrel. I am tired of having to set out and miss out on the smoothbore games. I had seen his booth at Friendship like many of you have and was impressed at his number of guns on hand. But the trip to the shop was "really" something special. I saw his National record 50 yd off hand smooth bore target that was one ragged hole not much bigger than a quarter perfectly centered in the bullseye. I think he said he holds 8 national records with a smoothbore. He had 2 walls covered with awards and 3 boxes full of 1st place medals from all over the US. I got to feel the hair trigger pull and hold his champ smooth bore. I believe he said it weighed around 11 lbs. Its hold was perfect and steady, quite natural. I know you can read smoothbore load and barrel advice on here all day. I am convinced the formula is pretty simple. I now know the secret,powder patch and ball,and barrel are the easy part, the truth is its the "Man behind the gun", period. I would recommend that anyone pay a visit if it is ever possible.Heck it would be worth it if you had to go to some trouble. I did manage to get out of there without a new gun. But it was dang tough. My addiction nearly got the best of me at times, I bet I picked up a sweet little 54 smoothbore in the white 20 times, trying to figure out what I could sell to buy it. I decided to leave with just a barrel but it wasn't easy.

Never been there, but I went to Dixon's once, and I know what you were feeling. Someday...

I have never been there either, but have been to Dixon's. It is my favorite place to go.

If you are ever in the area, don't miss it. Great ol guy to visit.

I can tell you for sure you will not just stop there, you will be there HOURS....... Tip has more parts than anyone I know. Hundreds of stocks, barrels, locks, you name it, Tip has it.... Quite impressive. I go by there 3-4 times a year & have for years.

Keith Lisle

PS: If your wife is with you, make sure she has a good book to read & is patient. If not, take her to Opry Mills & drop her off (Not far) & go back to Tips & enjoy yourself.

His booth at Dixon's is always jam-packed with everyhing a gun builder couls want. I can't even imagine what his store looks like.

Birddog6 said:
PS: If your wife is with you, make sure she has a good book to read & is patient. If not, take her to Opry Mills & drop her off (Not far) & go back to Tips & enjoy yourself.

Exactly :thumbsup: you should not plan on a short visit.

I have been there as well. It is like going to muzzleloaders heaven.It's more fun than visiting the candy counter at Sears when i was a kid! Tip has lots of complete guns and tons of parts as stated. He always has lots of good stories to tell as well. I plan to visit again real soon. :thumbsup:

What? No pictures?

I'm hoping to stop in on my way back from VT, after Thanksgiving ... I'll bring my camera!

can some one give a location and maybe directions to tips place
also does he have a web site
thanks
t-buck

thanks
i may try and run up there seems like it would be a nice way to spend a weekend
t-buck

To get to his shop you drive north of Nashville on I65 about 25 miles, take the Cross Plains exit, cross back over the interstate and drive to Cross Plains. When you get to Cross Plains, take a left turn just past the big fiberglass pig on the left, go about 1/2 mile, his place is set off the road about 100 yards, on the left. Don't remember a sign on the road at his place, only one on the front of his shop.

His shop is pretty large and easy to spot. His house is made out of hand cut stone out of old chimneys and sits on a hill to the right his shop, you can't miss it.

THANKS FOR THE DIRECTIONS
GONNA MAKE SOME PLANS FOR THIS TO BE ON MY LIST OF PLACES TO VISIT THIS WINTER
T-BUCK

It would be a good to give him a call before going up there,he still does a few Rondys during the winter months :wink:

Latest posts

Back