• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tip Curtis Saint Etienne Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwilson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
We just placed and order with Tip Curtis
for a Saint Etienne 42 inch maple stocked
Fusil De-Chase .
it should arrive early next week
Let the building begin!
WalksFast

So tip is back in cold/ wet tn......I need to go see him.
You will be pleased :hatsoff:

I've have never seen a Charlyville FDC.Do you have pics of an original? I'd really like to see them if so.

alex efremenko said:
I've have never seen a Charlyville FDC.Do you have pics of an original? I'd really like to see them if so.

I got a feeling the answer will be along the lines of "If they'd have had it they'd have used it" LOL!!!

Walksfast, Have fun with the build! :)

alex efremenko said:
A 42" barrel is too short for any FDC. I'd like to see the lock.
Ditto, the barrel needs to be 44" or greater ...

I am building a Fusil de Chasse right now, using Bouchard's book (see below) as my guide. If you can, a few minutes pause to reflect on what would really make it a kick arse FdC may save you a "Gee I sure wish I had researched it a tad more" moment in the future.

It is your build of course - and I respect that - so whatever you do with it, enjoy the experience ... for the real joy is in the build, not the built aspect. FYI, Tom Patton (Okwaho) and Alex E. have both been very helpful to boot! I've posted quite a few build progress posts on it in the gun building forum.

Get Kevin Gladysz's book The French Trade Gun in North America 1662-1759 for St. Entienne arms.

french-trade-gun-in-north-america-1662-1759-kevin-gladysz-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Or Russel Bouchard's book The Fusil de Tulle in New France, 1691 for Tulle FdCs.

book-finf_1.jpg

alex efremenko said:
As far as PCness goes,nobody.

Amen! ...and it's really too bad. If you're going to sell a kit, the parts ought to be right. I've never understood why nobody's made an attempt to make the changes to get these kits right! :idunno:

Wes/Tex said:
I've never understood why nobody's made an attempt to make the changes to get these kits right! :idunno:
Or even TOW's FdC plans. Maybe they're 'OK' as a guide for a beginner, but for anything like # of pins to hold ramrod pipes et al ... reference pictures of original arms as posted by Ken Hamilton or Alex Efremenko and/or look at fusil pictures posted also by Alex of his builds.

Then again, they sure got me into trouble, as the plans showed 2 pins per pipe ... :youcrazy: grrrrrrrr ...

alex efremenko said:
I cant say I had seen one.I just remember when I bought my center mark I had read all the French armories had made trade fusils and army muskets. I jest rewoked my centermark to make it more hc...but couldn't grow the barrel or change the lock....I do wish when gunparts were sold more attention was paid to making them correct. I cant see how a proper FDC would have been more expensive to make then centermarks or tow's othewise very good product. :idunno:

blackpowderscout said:
alex efremenko said:

I got a feeling the answer will be along the lines of "If they'd have had it they'd have used it" LOL!!!

Walksfast, Have fun with the build! :)
That is somthing I have never said or used as a basis for my equipment.

Latest posts

Back