• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips from the server room - static

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that the acceptable conditions have been defined I too would agree there's little to no chance. But let me remind you that lightening is classed as static. Just saying! And I have seen some pretty healthy arcs jump off antennas and such. Not really static but a close relative.

I too am able to learn something new. But I am also opposed to dying by doing something stupid. So pardon me as I continue to take my normal precautions.

There are so many of these, and they just refuse to die regardless of evidence to the contrary,,,, it is very frustrating.
But, like I've said, I am open to having my mind changed.

There is something about shooting ML's that some people want to make very hard or there is some magic secret to do it right. Take cleaning, we know that simple warm water (with soap or not ) will clean your firearm and then throw some oil on it and you are good to go. But oh no, there are 1,001 ways that you have to follow and they usually work best under a full moon.

It takes heat to ignite black powder. The static electric sparks generated from walking on carpet can't ignite black powder in the granule form. Of course, it's more complicated than that.

Here's a link in the following thread to another study of the effect of black powder and static electricity.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...ck-powder-you-never-know.172485/#post-2488366

Still when inflammable components are pulverized dust that can float in the air, then static electricity becomes a concern. There are dust explosions that occur in mills grinding flour for baking.

Soooo, are you a BOT or a POS -SCAMMER, or BOTH?
Why would you copy & paste that from my friends thread in the modern forum?
I'm not answering for him, no dog in the fight. BUT maybe he didn't know there is no danger from the sock/carpet size spark and was just passing it on for others? Kinda like Pondy generously offering up tid bits of WRONG info. But the OP did it once, not once everytime he logs in. Just sayin....

There is something about shooting ML's that some people want to make very hard or there is some magic secret to do it right. Take cleaning, we know that simple warm water (with soap or not ) will clean your firearm and then throw some oil on it and you are good to go. But oh no, there are 1,001 ways that you have to follow and they usually work best under a full moon.
I still have my old offer up to share my moose milk solution for $5.00 for all who really care and want the BEST out of their range time. Years of research, mostly sober, have confirmed. PM for where to send the $5.00 and we'll get you shooting your best groups next time out. Its easy peezie and you can substitute stuff as you have handy.

I guess I'm wrong and you're right.
You are not completely wrong. Efforts to ignite BP with static and even the spark from an automotive spark plug failed to set it off.

However, I think it was concluded that some of the issues (explosions! :eek: ) in BP manufacturing are suspected to have been caused by a build up of static. The charge would have to be around 572 deg Fahrenheit. That's 350 centigrade which I have seen erroneously stated as 350 Fahrenheit.

Still when inflammable components are pulverized dust that can float in the air, then static electricity becomes a concern. There are dust explosions that occur in mills grinding flour for baking.

However, I think it was concluded that some of the issues (explosions! :eek: ) in BP manufacturing are suspected to have been caused by a build up of static.
There is a difference between a static explosion from a large volume of extremely fine dust particulate in the air, under very specific conditions,,,, and setting off BP in one's horn, gun, primer, etc.
There is plenty in life to be concerned about, why add to it. We are more likely to meet with catastrophe from unsafe gun handling than static causing our horn to explode.

I still have my old offer up to share my moose milk solution for $5.00 for all who really care and want the BEST out of their range time. Years of research, mostly sober, have confirmed. PM for where to send the $5.00 and we'll get you shooting your best groups next time out. Its easy peezie and you can substitute stuff as you have handy.

Be careful you just may get more orders than you can fill. 😁😁😁😁

Upon doing some research I came upon this article by a guy who had done the actual test:
https://www.leesgunsmithing.com/can-a-static-spark-set-off-black-powder
I guess I'm wrong and you're right.
Even an old geezer like me can learn something new. ;)
Much respect my man, we need more people like you who can look further into things and openly/publicly admit they had something wrong.

Thank you for the link..... I saved the link as a bookmark/favorite, but I'm sure I won't be able to find it the next time this subject comes up 😆😆😆

General thought exercise question....
If one is acting on old information, are they "wrong," or just misinformed? I would contend they may be wrong when they are confronted with new information that proves their former position to be inaccurate,,, but still hold to that old position. Maybe?

There is a significant difference between a spark generated by socks rubbing on a carpet, sparks generated by an electronic stun gun, or a bright spark generated by a flint scraping small pieces of steel from the face of a frizzen or steel striking another hard object. The static electricity generated from walking on a carpet and touching the doorknob is ionized electrons that have no internal heat to speak of. The spark generated as a tiny shard of steel burns as a result of the strike from a hard object is hot enough to set off a grain of black powder.

In this case, just because they look alike the electrical static sparks and the burning steel sparks are very different.

Are you saying a static charge can NOT ignite BP?

How about a cell phone at a gas station? I've never heard of one doing it but I know from over 40 years in radio communications that the potential is there. The potential is also there for a cell phone to ignite BP.

All it takes is an arc or spark. You can throw a spark as easily as plugging in a power cord. Dry conditions increase the chances. Most of us take precautions without ever knowing about it. Many precautions are built into things. But some also insist on being stupid about it and place a second, third and even a sixth round in that cylinder before placing the barrel to their head.
Mythbusters did a whole segment on the cellphone gas station thing and couldn’t get it to go.

If one is acting on old information, are they "wrong," or just misinformed? I would contend they may be wrong when they are confronted with new information that proves their former position to be inaccurate,,, but still hold to that old position. Maybe?
I think that's a fair and reasonable assessment of a person's position.

I'm not answering for him, no dog in the fight. BUT maybe he didn't know there is no danger from the sock/carpet size spark and was just passing it on for others? Kinda like Pondy generously offering up tid bits of WRONG info. But the OP did it once, not once everytime he logs in. Just sayin....
It looks like the OP is merely trying to get enough content to be able to buy & sell in both forums. Prob the same thing in other forums as well. It’s not a far stretch I’d think.

There are so many of these, and they just refuse to die regardless of evidence to the contrary,,,, it is very frustrating.
But, like I've said, I am open to having my mind changed.
I remember when powder came in a can and range rules wouldn't let pour from a plastic container then powder started coming in plastic containers so now we don't worry about that any more

I remember when powder came in a can and range rules wouldn't let pour from a plastic container then powder started coming in plastic containers so now we don't worry about that any more
Yup.
And not one of those ranges or range officers could point to an incident where powder wad ignited from static created pouring it from a can.

I bet some of those range managers and range officers are still wearing c_vid masks 😷 🙄

I asked about the switch from cans to plastic containers, at the dealer where I used to buy my powder about the switch and static sparks. He said it has nothing to do with static charges but was an economic decision. Plastic containers cost about half of what the cans cost. So strictly a cost cutting move at the manufacturing end.

Well I don't care what ya'll say!
Whenever I work with black powder I use an anti-static rubber mat and connect myself to ground with those computer tech grounding straps, I also wear an M95 mask, eye and hearing protection and if indoors I open a window and use one of those little Pez candy fans to disperse the BP fumes!
Oh, and NO cell phone in the same room!

And for safe storage I keep it out back, 250 yards from my house and from any of my neighbors' buildings, buried in a three foot deep hole at the base of an old oak tree. Never bury more then three feet deep as I don’t want too much pressure so as to turn it into a bomb that could take out half the neighborhood!

An ounce of prevention is worth..uh..you know The Thing!

Back