• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To Cap or not

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cap and carry at half cock (I mainly still-hunt). I feel comfortable carring it that way using the cradle or ready carrying positions. A thick foam earplug would likely serve the same purpose as a piece of leather, I use one over the nipple when there is a lot of moisture. It conforms around the nipple and stays on well with the hammer in the half cocked position. It does have to be removed after drawing the hammer all the way back, the cold weather hardens it and it doesn't normally fall off on its own.

When hunting with my percussion rifle I carry it capped and at half-cock.

Some of the ideas set forth here are pretty good and probably worth a thought. When I stop and rest of prop my gun against a tree I will uncap it, most of the time.

I am comfortable with a loaded percussion rifle that is capped. Hunt by myself on my own land so there are no others about the place.

I must say that I find some of the posts on this topic puzzling. Unless you plan to club your game to death, an unloaded (uncapped or unprimed)gun is as useless as a rock. If you are uncomfortable with a loaded weapon, maybe hunting is not for you. You may feel safer in the "municipal flat block." :barf:
I feel safer out of earshot of civilization, loaded gun in my hands.
:)

Fulminator said:
I must say that I find some of the posts on this topic puzzling. Unless you plan to club your game to death, an unloaded (uncapped or unprimed)gun is as useless as a rock. If you are uncomfortable with a loaded weapon, maybe hunting is not for you. You may feel safer in the "municipal flat block." :barf:
Lol, amen.

Fulminator said:
I am with you on this one. Clubbing grouse to death is tough at my age. :rotf:

Dave

Amen! Thank you, Fulminator. :hatsoff:

I have carried loaded guns most all of my life, pretty much on a daily basis. An obsession with safety can get you killed. Carry and use the gun the way it was intended.

None of this is meant to reflect negatively on any previous poster, including the OP, and there are some interesting tips above.

1Longbow said:
When hunting with a percussion rifle ,do you guys hunt with the cap on and the hammer down ,or do you cap when its time to shoot/ Thank you

Another consideration is the ”˜Kap Cover’”¦a waterproof device which is also an excellent safety.
Except for those times when expecting a sudden grouse flush, or on a hot dove field, there’s always time to remove / drop it to get ready for a deer coming along, or line up on a squirrel, or a turkey, etc...used them the whole time I used percussions without any interference.

Back