• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To shoot or hang it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with BLAHMAN (and everyone else). What is a gun made for? To be shot. If it was supposed to be a wall hanger, there wouldn't be a barrel on it. It is an insult to the maker to not let his masterpiece perform.

BobW

Hey Dood,
Thanks for posting Zonie's "plain" rifle. She really is a beauty. Since I've never carved anything, I think I'm going the same route with mine. A cheek star and a thumbpiece for sure and maybe an inlay on the patch side but nothing else. I'm going to go more reddish/brown than Zonie's and I'm going to antique the brass to a dull, warm patina and let the wood I have speak for itself.

I'm thinking of buying a how-to video. Chambers and Alexander both have one out and I know others do as well. Anyone have any 1st hand experience with any of them?

Thanks,
Finnwolf

Take a picture and hang that on the wall.
Take the gun to the range and use it.
Then all your "Kama" will be right with the world. :m2c:

So what's wrong with wanting to shoot it and hang it on the wall?

Wouldn't it be cool to have it hanging on the wall and somebody sees it and says "Wow, that's pretty neat." And then you say "Yeah, and I shoot it too."

Well, for starters-
How do you shoot it AND keep it un-fired?
Believe those were the only two points he was pondering.
Or did I misunderstand your question?

The first component rifle I built was a Lehigh County style rifle from Pecatonica. .45 caliber with a L&R Durs Egg Flintlock.
It had a color I've never been able to match. Very little red, it actually looked like dark honey.
Because it was my first and I knew less than I do now, all of the furniture and inlays were German Silver. For inlays, it had star inlays drilled for the cross pins at each underlug, plus a large star on the cheekpiece.

Anyway..., a moment of insanity took control of me and I developed a craving for a Uberti 1885 High Wall in .45-70 cal.
The craving caused me to lower my price to under $1K and I hadn't been at the gunshow 20 minutes before I had a guy who wanted to buy it but not enough cash on hand.
We made arrangements to meet later when he had the cash.

When we met, I went thru all of the procedures for loading, dis-assembly, cleaning and shooting instructions with him.
When I was finished with my discourse, with a large grin on his face he said "I'm not going to shoot this! I'm only buying it to hang above my fireplace!!"

He couldn't have said words that would have been a lower blow to me if he would have tried.
I smiled and bid him and my rifle a sad good-by.
As I watched it move away, I felt like a piece of me had left.

It's undoubtedly hanging above his fireplace, making him happy, but damn, that's not at all what I made it for.

If it is a work of art and valuable, I would sell that puppy and buy several shooters. You could have a good rifle, smoothbore fowler, pistol, molds and powder for the cost of one expensive gun.

I have no use for collector items. All my guns are for shooting and I am not interested in preserving them or babying works of art.

If you had ever seen my truck, you would understand.

CS

Ah, but if it's "purty", holds well, fits... why have a bunch of guns when you can have 1 really nice one? :winking:

"Beware the man that only has one gun... He most likely knows how to shoot it." :winking:

If I won it I'd shoot it, carry it, camp with it, trek with it, and take care of it.

I read where Caywood gave their first Crocket rifle to Pres. GW Bush and I'll I could think of was "What a waste of gun steel" :shake: Just a $13,000 wall decoration... :cry:

:m2c:

Shoot it. You'll break its spirit if it only hangs on the wall and you don't want a sad gun in the house bringing all of the rest of them down.

:results:

Ah, but if it's "purty", holds well, fits... why have a bunch of guns when you can have 1 really nice one?

A man after my own heart.

I only get to deer hunt a couple days a year, and I enjoy using a nice rifle to do it. If I can use that same rifle for reenactments, treks, target shooting, walks in the woods with the dog, squirrel, bunnies . . . life is good.

If I won it I'd shoot it, carry it, camp with it, trek with it, and take care of it.
... AND hang it on the wall!

That's just what I do with mine - it's a "looker" - real work of art but I love to shoot it.

...if it's "purty", holds well, fits... why have a bunch of guns when you can have 1 really nice one?

... after my heart too.

If you shoot it, it's a gun.

If you hang it on the wall, it's sculpture.

I like guns.

I hang all my rifles. I also shoot them all.
wallgun1.jpg

wallguns.jpg

Having a gun that nice and not shooting it would be like having a swimsuit model for a girlfriend and not aaaaaa kissing her, or like having a 1940 martin D28[the grandaddy of all flat top guitars]and not playing it. It just wouldn't be right!!!!! Dew

I would definitely shoot it! That is what is was made for. To not shoot it would waste the builder's talents.

dan

Back