• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To the older guys…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made my wife get her pistol permit 40+ years ago just to avoid that situation. While I haven't cross registered my collection it will be a simple thing to happen should I pass.
Back in 2017 I had some major health issues that required surgery that took over 8 hours. Before hand I made a list of my guns and which son and grandson was to get what. I update it periodically. My thoughts regarding the most treasured family heirlooms are to gift them to my grandsons at some point in time in the near future, I am thinking their 10th birthday, so that I can explain the guns history to them and show them pictures of the relatives that purchased them originally.
I also have plans to assemble two Kiblers for them before the 250th anniversary. I may sell off a couple of other black powder guns to fund that project.
As for other unmentionables, I am considering using Rock Island Auctions. They seem to get some pretty good prices at their sales. I do have a local auction house that once a year takes consignments. I have too many that my sons would be overwhelmed with them. And my older son already has his own collection with no one other than his brother and nephews to leave those too.
I hope that my grandsons will develop a love of shooting and be interested in this. My son took them shooting this summer when they visited and they seemed interested. I was not able to go due to sciatica that week. I was very disappointed. They only come for a couple of days maybe once a year.
My thoughts for the original post would be to decide which gun you love shooting the most and keep it. Then sell off the rest and take the trip that you always wanted to do but never felt that you had the money to take and enjoy!

You don't have a problem - you live in the US of A.

Here I am in UK, trying hard not to die before I've made arrangements to ensure that the Widow tac stays on the right side of the Law. A pal of mine has over a hundred and fifty Section 1 firearms here in UK - his wife is ten years older than he is - could be HUGE problem of he passes first.

You would think law makers would have made some accommodations for the situation.

They have. The widow can call the police and hand them in for disposal, or make VERY quick arrangements having been advised by the police what to do next. I've seen it having to be done in less than a working week.

I have had mixed results trying to be a good father. Not all my children and grandchildren know and love the Lord. On the bright side, they all love firearms. Part of that is due to the culture here in Montana and Idaho. Anyway, I too have a document listing each gun. Info includes when I bought it, where I bought it, how much it cost (to help them determine relative value), and any info of interest regarding each gun. Historical info, why the gun may be collectible or not, etc. Eventually, I will give some away one at a time. If any remain after my passing, I have asked my daughters and wife to have a family get-together. Take turns picking a gun till they are all gone. Can't believe I have that many, but I do. God has been good to me. I remember when I was a kid, saving every penny till I had $18. and could buy a single shot 22 from the Sears catalog. I was about 10 years old.

I past retirement age. My son lives 2500 miles away in AZ. He never really had interest in firearms. So i have my pistols. 3 BP uberti, and two modern single actions. I really got no one to pass to that will appreciate as much as I love my pistols.
So my morbid question is, what you intend to do with them as you get to old to use them? Sell on GB? Looking for ideas.
I am in a similar situation. I am in the process of thinning my unmentionables. Of the "keepers' I tried to double up as I have 2 sons so I could leave 1 of each to each son. However, one has morphed into a rabid anti gunner and the other is married to one who wants no firearms in their house, which is why his firearms are at my house. I have not found a satisfactory solution as a few of mine are very collectible. Do I sell? Give to a museum? Ideas appreciated...

I was blessed being born and raised in a gun friendly family and community. And being mechanically inclined was fixing friends guns at the age of nine. My wife and two sons hunted. My grandson hunts and granddaughter shoots. But the only one that knows how to load a black powder gun is my 20 year old grandson. So now its common knowledge they will go to him. That's including everything that goes with them and gunsmith tools. I have about 20 black powder guns, mostly revolvers. 2 modern cartridge. One I carry and one old SxS. Not including 7 that have been converted into unmentionables.
Don't worry about what you're going to leave your kids or anyone for that matter, enjoy what time you have left NOW
I have been similarly blessed. Recently I’ve been diagnosed with cancer, and my sell by date is now in the rear view mirror. I’m 78, otherwise always been healthy and fit and I’ve been privileged to share my love of the outdoors, shooting, and hunting with my kids, grandkids, and great grandchildren… some years ago I began compiling an excel sheet of the things I valued along with notes about provenance, prices and so on. I’m spending a lot of time updating the sheet for the people I love. I don’t want to be a burden, want them all to know how much I have loved them all and I want each of them to have something that had meaning between us.
My dad had 4 sons, no daughters. He died at 54. I spent many days with him hunting. He had some nice guns. But when he learned he was dying, he sold them. They were not mine, not my brothers but his and he had every right to do with them as he pleased. I'm ashamed to say it didn't set right with me. Not that I needed or wanted them to use, but I always figured a father leaves his guns to his sons as a way for them to hold on to those happy times a'field. But he didn't. Sold them to a dealer. I can't imagine that small amount of money made a difference to my mom. In fact, she left her four son's a good bit of money. Anyway, don't sell. Even if your kids have no interest in guns and hunting, they should have them.
A friend of mine attended the old Gunsite many years ago for a rifle course. He said Col. Cooper told him he should bring the rifle his father gave him. Presumptive? Sure, but it’s something a father should do for his children, sons and daughters alike.

No kidding seems y'all already dead!
None of us has a guarantee on tomorrow! All should be prepared every day. I have lost too many friends and siblings of friends over the years. Learned that early on when a close friend died suddenly at the age of 14. Lost several classmates the summer we graduated from high school due to dangerous behaviors that many of us have done. Lost a close friend to a brain tumor at age of 45, dropped while out for his daily run. Another younger brother of close friend finished mowing the lawn and was walking across it when he dropped dead of heart attack. So many over my 60 plus years it often leaves me thinking how I have been blessed to make it this long. Guess I have my mom to thank for it. Good genes in her family. Remember many of her great uncles making into their 90's. Mom is currently 92. My dad made it longer than any of his family as most died in their 50's or 60's, he made it to 86. This really is something that everyone needs to think about and make plans. Do you have a will? Directions on what to do with your firearms? you should!

I have two sons. One of them has turned into a Liberal, jerk. He has no interest in anything I do, and he told me he does not want any guns. So, he is getting absolutely nothing from me. My other son will get the bulk of my entire estate. My wife gets a couple of my guns and a nephew, who has been more like a son to me, will get a few of my guns. I have a 28-gauge unmentionable SxS shotgun that he really likes. He gets that one for sure.

None of us has a guarantee on tomorrow! All should be prepared every day. I have lost too many friends and siblings of friends over the years. Learned that early on when a close friend died suddenly at the age of 14. Lost several classmates the summer we graduated from high school due to dangerous behaviors that many of us have done. Lost a close friend to a brain tumor at age of 45, dropped while out for his daily run. Another younger brother of close friend finished mowing the lawn and was walking across it when he dropped dead of heart attack. So many over my 60 plus years it often leaves me thinking how I have been blessed to make it this long. Guess I have my mom to thank for it. Good genes in her family. Remember many of her great uncles making into their 90's. Mom is currently 92. My dad made it longer than any of his family as most died in their 50's or 60's, he made it to 86. This really is something that everyone needs to think about and make plans. Do you have a will? Directions on what to do with your firearms? you should!
Yes, think about it, prepare. BUT nothing more critical to your passing time than that victory some of us have and some of us don't.

What's with you guys? What happened to the "pry 'em from my cold dead hands" stuff?

:)

Whats happened ?
REALITY happens as we age, in my case at 71 I'm retiring in Thailand late next year - early 2025, I need to really retire and Guns aren't a happening thing where I'm going to be.
Reality is, there's no way around it.

I am still young(ish) at 57.
I have a lot of firearms.
Whenever a family/extended family member expresses interest in a firearm, I usually give it to them.
It’s nice to see them enjoy a gift instead of passing them on when I’m dead.
Here in the UN"free" state of Maryland, it is now ILLEGAL to gift a person a PEW PEW while you are still breathing without going through a "bone-ifiede" FFL Dealer and pay the FEES the "government" has FORCED upon a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT!

Whats happened ?
REALITY happens as we age, in my case at 71 I'm retiring in Thailand late next year - early 2025, I need to really retire and Guns aren't a happening thing where I'm going to be.
Reality is, there's no way around it.
Then MOVE to a local that allows the RIGHT of SELF PROTECTION! IF all your family is there, I do not fault you for staying.

Thinking about what will happen to your guns if you leave them for a family member. This may help you with your decision. Possibly will them to someone of an organization that is gun friendly. Find a young person interested and make them a good deal. I would think the NSSA would have a donation program to give a gun to young people getting started in the hobby.
I understand that problem. It's not just the guns, but it's all our family pictures and heirlooms. The younger people today don't want our stuff. All the things we saved from our own families history is not respected or of value to this generation.

I understand that problem. It's not just the guns, but it's all our family pictures and heirlooms. The younger people today don't want our stuff. All the things we saved from our own families history is not respected or of value to this generation.
I hate to say this but I agree with you. I had to clean out my mothers home when she passed away. There were thing she had from when she was a child. My sisters did take a few things but I had to dispose of some items. It was a hard job to do. Now I am at the stage I need to give some more things away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back