• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Toeplate *#*#*@&#^$*!!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose30273

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Was just inletting a Toeplate. I am now waiting for the glue to set up on my REattached Toe. Just had to vent.

I've heard of doctors using superglue to reattach fingernails but glueing your Toe back on?? You must really hate hospitals :rotf:

"I am now waiting for the glue to set up on my REattached Toe."
-------------

Well, I sure hope your talking about your rifles toe and not yours. :haha:

I have no idea how you broke your guns toe but I can't remember ever having to do anything to install a toe plate that would break if off.

I cut the forward area by incising straight down into the wood with an Exacto Knife and then carefully use a razor sharp chisel with hand power only to slowly remove the wood between the incised cut and the end that will be against the butt plate.

Good luck with your gun. :)

Hope this makes you feel better. The kind folks in this group have been helping me for the last 8 months on a Lancaster rifle build. Has been perfect up to a misplaced drill hole in the tang, which I fixed. Got everything fixed, shined the brass and browned the barrel, put 12 coats of tung on the highly carved stock. Turned out fantastic. I was putting on the toe plate as the last thing before shooting. While reaching for a screw, the rifle fell off the bench, hitting the toe and splitting a big chunk off of the toe right where the screw for the butt plate entered the wood. Then, rifle forestock fell down, hit the cement with a ramrod ferrule, and split the fore end right in the middle down the ramrod groove. I'm surprised you didn't hear me hollering from where you live. Fixed it with some superglue and a few hidden screws under the toe plate. I can still tell that it was buggered, but if I didn't tell you, you might not find the repairs. Man that figured wood can split, but you can fix it.

Lisle George

George91946 said:
the rifle fell off the bench

the worst six words in our craft.
or at least in the discussion.

once the buttplate is inlet and the stock's toe point becomes fragile, the buttplate stays on for support and protection - the very few times it comes off - briefly - I keep myself on high alert.
/MM

Zonie said:
I have no idea how you broke your guns toe but I can't remember ever having to do anything to install a toe plate that would break if off.

Very easily done, if the grain of the wood is coming at an angle from the buttplate down into the toeplate area, especially on a Tenn. or Southern rifle with one of the long toes & long curved buttplates... You cut the wrong way & you can easily chip or break out a chunk of wood.

Also, the precarves get easily broken in shipping if not really packed well on the butt/toe end. I had one come in that had about a inch broken off. I just glued & clamped it back on.... not a major problem, but was a lil aggravated with the shipper.

Keith Lisle

Back