• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk and Obsidian Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead124

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So much talent on this forum with the different things I’ve seen guys make… Just thought I’d share some pieces I’ve been working on. While creek walking for arrowheads earlier this summer I found a rock that sort of resembled the shape of a tomahawk.. well with some work I made it into one. The second is an obsidian blade I knapped and fit it into a deer antler handle with a curly maple base. Keep up the good work guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpeg
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1312.jpeg
    IMG_1312.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    607.9 KB · Views: 0
I don't believe you knapped that knife! where are the band aids? where is the blood stain on that blade!
actually that is outstanding work! I can knap 3 like that out of obsidian and 2 will be thoroughly blooded by the time they are done. the third one snaps in half just as i am serrating the edge!
I have some red and black i need to do up.

I don't believe you knapped that knife! where are the band aids? where is the blood stain on that blade!
actually that is outstanding work! I can knap 3 like that out of obsidian and 2 will be thoroughly blooded by the time they are done. the third one snaps in half just as i am serrating the edge!
I have some red and black i need to do up.
Well I learned after starting that hobby a quality pair of gloves and safety glasses are a must. Also, don’t worry I have plenty of pieces that ended up being arrowheads instead of what they were intended to be due to breaking haha. Thanks for your kind words

So much talent on this forum with the different things I’ve seen guys make… Just thought I’d share some pieces I’ve been working on. While creek walking for arrowheads earlier this summer I found a rock that sort of resembled the shape of a tomahawk.. well with some work I made it into one. The second is an obsidian blade I knapped and fit it into a deer antler handle with a curly maple base. Keep up the good work guys!
Well done! That obsidian knife has a nice, thin, blade. That takes skill! Usually if done by someone less skilled, the middle of the blade will look pretty fat. Be very careful with that though. One of my bosses at work probably 20-years ago was given a beautiful obsidian knife with about a 5" blade from an Orvis Endorsed Guide. He really didn't know what he had. Obsidian can be knapped to an incredibly sharp edge, but it's also incredibly brittle. He dropped the knife and the blade broke cleanly in half. He was hoping to find a way to repair and I didn't have a clue. I'd be putting that blade behind glass in a nice frame. She's a real beauty!

Back