• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk block ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently discovered an Sears Hatchet I had bought in the 70's. It looked a mess, but I stripped the wood handle, cleaned up the Forged Steel USA (!) head, and it's good as new! The years had left the fit loose, I re-set it, and it's good for another 50 years! Funny how you can re-discover something that's been sitting around the shed or garage, and it's like a new discovery. The ones at Harbor Freight are no doubt made in China!

Running the hawk and knife at a Boy Scout outing , I was going to get some balloons have decks of cards to throw at . Any other ideas ?

Well first, do you have a large block of wood which to throw at?

IF you don't, you can assemble a dozen 2x4's like a square shield, and post the "shield" with the boards sitting vertical. You need seven 2x4's six-feet in length. You cut them in half, and you use 12 pieces for the target and the two remaining pieces on the back side to hold it together, That often works as a target where the hawks will "stick".

You can put whatever you wish on the target then. cheap cookies, saltine crackers, or graham crackers. For a larger target you can take small or large tortillas, make a small hole near the edge, then bake the tortillas in an oven until they are hard, The premade hole then allows you hang these on the target. I'd use food-stuff as it's cheap, and the bits that fall to the ground the critters will clean up for you without harm to the critters. Balloons, and cay pigeons tend to be bad for the animals. Instead of paint, make a round target on the square shield with charcoal, a large outer circle, and a large black dot in the center. (Keeps the theme of low or no impact on the wilderness)

LD

Yep a large block , they did good last year but this is a different group , I was just letting them throw all they wanted last year . I think I have 8 hawks and 6 knives ,each person threw that many each time ,we had a big time .
I got about 10 bags of gum bands this morning , I think I have 10 decks of cards that way if they cut them they can take them home , they get to shoot also .

Clay pigeon hung from a nail on the end of a log. Showy and very satisfying. Depending on how tough you want to make it, you can use the mini clays.

IronHand

The block is in sections . The kids were great last year. I wanted everyone tobe Successful , these kids don’t get to do this very often , and the ones that threw well helped the ones that didn’t , and the ones that didn’t do well got to throw till they got the hang of it .

I only had 5 at a time , we cheered every one on , took pictures and fussed over them , even some Dads threw and we cheered them on . I had a good time .

I used to do the same job at our Scout camp in the summer. I made the challenge a set of two tongue depressors on the block face. stretch a piece of painted string across the face of the block. this makes two challenges for them.

Here's my son about 1980 teaching the Boy Scouts how to throw knives and hawks at a camping trip. Imagine how that would go over today.

Attachments

• Jeff throwing hawk.JPG
    Jeff throwing hawk.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
What about feathers, hung on string(s) across the block, so they could move in any breeze.

Small balloons, filled with flour or water. Messy, but messy is fun.

Slices of (stale) bread, to be re-sliced by hawk or knife.

Related to that picture of my son, he and I stopped at a local bar for a couple of beers after playing golf and two former Scouts were sitting across from us at the bar now grown men with beards. I went around and shook their hands and they said "Mr. Carl, the most fun we ever had on a camping trip was when you taught us to throw knives and tomahawks.".

Latest posts

Back