• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anvil1231

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is one I tried some engraving,file work,punching,piercing,pewter casting and brass inlaying on. It is made from a 24 oz ball peen hammer.
IMG_1268.jpg
IMG_1266.jpg

timbuckII said:
Another beauty! Is a how to still a possibility?
timbuckII,yes it is still in the works. Hope to get it on before much longer.
Thanks ya'll for the kind words. anvil

What type of tempering do you do to a hawk. I've fixed several broken ones and re-did the temper, I've never started from scratch. I'm thinking this looks like fun.

Regards

Loyd said:
What type of tempering do you do to a hawk. I've fixed several broken ones and re-did the temper, I've never started from scratch. I'm thinking this looks like fun.

Regards
Loyd,I am sure you can get as many opinions on this as we have members but here is the way I do it. After forging I heat the whole thing back up twice and let it cool to normalize.Then the way I do it is I heat the edge of the blade to a non-magnetic state then quench in trans.fluid,then draw it back to a blue color.Note in the pic of the blade the temper line.I do the same on the tip of a spike. I then run a file across just to see if it feels about right. If it is a hammer poll I draw that end back to a straw color. All this leaves the eye an part of the blade and spike fairly soft.All this is kind of primative,but it works for me without ever having problems. Hope this helps, Anvil

Anvil, that is one amazing piece of work! The details are really well done and don't overpower. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

That truly is one impressive tomahawk and made from a hammer as well. Again impressive

Latest posts

Back