• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i am looknig for a fantastic tomahawk! one that i can throw all day long with out worry about the handle loosening. or the head coming off. price is not really an issue but as always the less expensive the more likely i am at actually getting it.
i am jsut getting into the world of competition throwing. i have been throwing hawks for YEARS!! but everyone that i've had the handle would become loose after every throw.

any hep would be fantastic!

thanks

Son

No matter how much you pay, the handle will eventually come loose UNLESS the head is pinned/fixed to the handle in some way. This creates other problems, as you would need tools to replace the handle if it breaks.

You're going to get as many choices as there are responses. Get the best you can afford, though remember that price may not be the best indication of quality. Perhaps others will be able to recommend certain sources.

My choice would be determined by how well it functions as a throwing hawk and not so much about how much it costs. Face it, the throwing hawks get beat up in the process.

Glad to hear about someone throwing Hawks. If you don't have the head pinned of someother way locked on the handle they will come loose. A cheap fix you might try just soak the head and handle in a bucket of water the night before you are going to throw it. The handle should swell and lock on to the head until it dries out again in a few days. Did this with and axe at hunting camp years ago and it worked well.
Fox :thumbsup:

are there any suggestions as to aplace to actualy purchase a decent throwing hawk?

thanks

Son

I have been throwing since 82, have a box of hawks. By far the best I have is the one from Pa. I have cut the card in half more with it then any other one. Pioneer Arms Co. 355 Lawrence RD Broomall, PA 19008. He has a web site, I think it is in our links here. 36.00 to your door. We have bought 3 so far. Has the balance. Copied of the one that won Pa Championship. Try one you won't be sorry. Dilly

Morning, GRANSFORS of Sweden hand forge many axes, Hawks,Throwing,Camp and others all have great balance and feel Ph : 843 875 - 0240
I have a hunters axe and it's a beauty.

Contact Pioneer Arms for a good cast throwing hawk or Beaver Bill for a GREAT forged throwing hawk. I have both and they are excellent throwing hawks. Beaver Bill's is a little heavier because it is forged and that is my hawk of choice. They will both run you about $40.00.

Black Hand said:
No matter how much you pay, the handle will eventually come loose UNLESS the head is pinned/fixed to the handle in some way. This creates other problems, as you would need tools to replace the handle if it breaks.

Well said and a statement with which I agree.I don't throw my hatchets/axes{I hate the 1950's term "hawk"}but have built a few.Black Hand is correct on the inevitability of handle loosening. Normal use as a tool and change of weather will cause some loosening and repetitive throwing even more.I always use a leather gasket around the handle inside the head.This was standard practice on old pipe axes but will also work on regular axes.It can be the very devil to work a gasket up inside a handle but it will help. I normally use braintan but any good buckskin will work.I have seen at least one old axe with a pin through the head into the head but am not sure I would recommend such a method of construction.I have wondered,too,as to the advantages and disadvantages of various woods. Virtually all Indian pipe axws were made from ash because of the ease of burning through the pith to make a smoke channel and baseball bats have long been made of ash because it is strong yet supple. Hickory is used for tool handles for the same reason. I have to wonder if totally kiln dried out handles made from sawn boards would as strong AND supple as handles made from ash or hickory branch wood used either green or naturally air dried.This is just a thought but as I said it has made me wonder.
Tom Patton

The high heat in kiln drying destroys the pectins in the cells, weakening them. They do not stand up to repeated vibration well, and will break down faster than an air dried wood. Kiln dried wood has its place in the housing industry, unless you live next to an active Railroad line, or in the flight path of an airport runway! For most home construction, however, such wood is not subjected to lots of vibrations, and it lasts as long as any wood house is expected to last.

The famous Stradivari Violins, made more than 400 years ago, were made from wood stored in warehouses near sea level, where the salt laden air also helped to destroy the pectins in the wood cells. That is why the violins have the distinctive sounds for which they are known. However, they are all beginning to lose their sound qualities, as the wood begins to deteriorate. There is an effort underway to conserve these woods, but no one has found a way to get material into the cells through the cell walls to strength each cell chamber, nor have they found any way to strengthen just the cell walls. Oh, they also found that leaving a violin in a museum display case without playing it also leads to deterioration rapidly. That is why you will occasionally see a credit, say, on a PBS broadcast of a symphony concernt, that states that the lead violinist is playing a Staridvarius violin loaned to the orchestra by some museum. Museum curators are doing this kind of " loan " to advertise the fact that the museum owns one of these violins, and to have it played in public just to get someone to play it!

While the requirements of wood used in gunstocks and knife and Axe handles is nowhere near what vibrations are required of thin wood in a violin, the vibrations delivered to axe handles, in particular, can be very violent, and harsh. That is why using a wood like Ash, or Hickory, which have good lateral cohesion between cells, makes them the choice of woods for these handles.

If you just want a tomahawk for throwing, you can get one from Crazy Crow for $18.95 and it will last a lifetime (not the handle). You don't need to spend more.

On the other hand, if you want a work of art, you can spend hundreds on a fine tomahawk.

I have both and they each serve their prupose well.

I was taught about throwing "Hawks" by a fellow who used to make some of the best. He's now deceased...He told me and I believe very true, that a good throwing tomahawk needs a tapered loop(pole) for excepting the handle tightly, but the handle should be able to spring loose on a non-sticking throw in a log or other hard object.

Reason!..As a shock absorber!...A bad throw will let the Hawk "fall apart" and usually in front or very close to the front of the target log!...Ask about anyone who has ever regularly competed or even got close to watch a contest and chance's "R" they have had to be alert and quick footed to get out of the way of that Hawk bouncing back at them or another person when it was deflected!

Buy yourself a good hawk, but be sure that you can always get a supply of handles that fit without any major fitting. Another little trick for serious Hawk throwers...Take a couple extra handles or even more and put them in a container large enough to completely submurge them with coal oil or desel fuel and close it up and let 'em soak for at least a year. I used to use a length of 4 inch PVC wih glued caps on each end. Man, does that "tuff'n" them up and amost unbreakable!

Tomahawk throwing is a fun event to day, as it was in gatherings of old, but in a heated fight or battle...I don't think that most men would of taken the chance of throwing their weapon away for an enemy to use against it's owner!

No bull..just fact!

Son you mentioned getting into the "professional" end of throwing. You may want to attend several of those type events and look and ask questions there. Many professional competiters use axes of different styles n construction then most of us here on the forum would be familier with. You may even be able to use ones with fiberglas molded in handles or even a metal handle, I've seen both advertised. Personally I would attend event n ask questions there as well as here before spending money on something that may not work for ya. just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Last edited by a moderator:
The Trail Hawk (1st link) is made from two pieces held together with an allen-headed bolt, I believe.

Look up "cold steel tomahawk" reviews on google - I know there are a couple out there.

Back