• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TomBob Balls for Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crane Senior

40 Cal
Reaction score
OK, deer muzzleloading season is coming up in a couple of months and I drew a tag. In CA you cannot use lead so I'm clearly going to have to go to an alternative. Has anyone used TomBob's? I bought some last year but wasn't able to go so we're going to make it happen this year. Any experience with these is appreciated, thanks.

I have no experience with them, but their specifications mean they will do well. They are of almost the same density as lead but a little harder. They should shoot essentially the same trajectory as lead and penetrate well. The material they are made from is approved for waterfowl.

Spence

I have no experience with them, but their specifications mean they will do well. They are of almost the same density as lead but a little harder. They should shoot essentially the same trajectory as lead and penetrate well. The material they are made from is approved for waterfowl.

Spence
Thanks, I’m pretty sure they will penetrate. I’m guessing that there is a great chance of total pass through because they are harder and won’t expand like lead. They also have a strange “belt” around the middle, but as they say, it is what it is.

Haven’t shot an animal with one yet. But they shoot right in the same group with my lead RB. I’d have no problem using them on deer or elk at reasonable ranges.
If you’re not dead-set on RB, the Thor conical is also a good bullet. Took a nice coastal blacktail with one last year in my 1:48 twist rifle last year. Took a longer shot that blew right through and a shorter follow-up at close range that fully expanded but was recovered on the off-side rib. It’s basically a Barnes HP so expect good performance there.

I should add that if you choose the ITX RB, make sure you have a safe backstop. They don’t deform at all. I recovered a few from the dirt after shooting and they barely have a scratch on them. Ricochets could be bad if you hunt rocky terrain. Bismuth might shatter but ITX is tough stuff.

Back