• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too hot for deer...switch to squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Deer hunting has been slow with the weather in the 70's. In spite of the rut going on the deer are moving much more early and late. I loaded only one barrel with a ball. The squirrels were taking advantage of the blue bird day, so I loaded up the empty barrel with shot and sought to take a squirrel to eat for dinner. At the last minute one appeared just a few feet away on a tree. How he got there I do not know. It just sort of appeared. I actually chased him off some to get a shot further away but he went about 15 yards and stood there. Ok then, a 15 yard shot is fine. Turned out to be a nice hunt and a tasty game dinner.
BP-squirrel.jpg

Best thing about hunting squirrel is its fun. Second best is squirrel for supper however you like to fix it. The third best is after a successful hunt there in no long drag with 100 plus pounds at the end of the rope. Great pic, Sparkitoff. I really enjoy reading about other guys hunts. Glad you posted.

Deer hunting has been slow with the weather in the 70's. In spite of the rut going on the deer are moving much more early and late. I loaded only one barrel with a ball. The squirrels were taking advantage of the blue bird day, so I loaded up the empty barrel with shot and sought to take a squirrel to eat for dinner. At the last minute one appeared just a few feet away on a tree. How he got there I do not know. It just sort of appeared. I actually chased him off some to get a shot further away but he went about 15 yards and stood there. Ok then, a 15 yard shot is fine. Turned out to be a nice hunt and a tasty game dinner.
BP-squirrel.jpg
nice pic, i always like getting a deer, but enjoy hunting tree rats

Thanks for sharing your story. Squirrel hunting is one of the most enjoyable ways to spent time out in the woods.

I would much rather squirrel hunt these days. We are on a bad mast year (very few hickory nuts and no acorns to speak of) though and they are just plain hard to find right now. Almost to the point of non existent. On the other hand, my girls and I had a great deer season in the fields!! Gonna try the dogs this weekend, maybe they will show me something to at least shoot at and miss :D:D

Back