• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too many options for rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My problem is there are too many options for a rifle kit build and I don't know what to choose. I only have this forum to talk to anyone about this. I personally don't know anyone that has built or builds ML's. I keep leaning to a swamped barrel rifle. I think I could inlet a tang or other small items. Not the barrel or lock or trigger.

Smoothbore? Flintlock? Underhammer? I have none of these.

Percussion? I have percussion rifles. Do I really want to spend the $ and build a really nice percussion rifle? Bob Hoyt is finishing up my TC Hawken 50 fast twist barrel right now.

Swamped barrel appeals to me. Caliber?

I could see my self shooting in chunk gun matches. Problem is just finding out when and where they are held.

Kibler, Chambers, TVM, TOTW, Pecatonica, Hawken Shop. Who else makes kit rifles that include everything?

I could manage inlaying small items. Not the barrel or lock. Just don't have the tools for it. Wood sanding and finishing, metal finishing I'm good with and enjoy.

What have you done? What are some options that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

Go with a swamped barrel on a rifle for sure. Flint rifles are easier to build. I'd forget the chunk gun idea, you would be shooting alone a lot if you aren't near a group who already use them.
If I could only have one? Flintlock smooth bore for the versatility.
Kind of what I'm thinking. Flintlock, swamped, smoothbore.

My problem is there are too many options for a rifle kit build and I don't know what to choose. I only have this forum to talk to anyone about this. I personally don't know anyone that has built or builds ML's. I keep leaning to a swamped barrel rifle. I think I could inlet a tang or other small items. Not the barrel or lock or trigger.

Smoothbore? Flintlock? Underhammer? I have none of these.

Percussion? I have percussion rifles. Do I really want to spend the $ and build a really nice percussion rifle? Bob Hoyt is finishing up my TC Hawken 50 fast twist barrel right now.

Swamped barrel appeals to me. Caliber?

I could see my self shooting in chunk gun matches. Problem is just finding out when and where they are held.

Kibler, Chambers, TVM, TOTW, Pecatonica, Hawken Shop. Who else makes kit rifles that include everything?

I could manage inlaying small items. Not the barrel or lock. Just don't have the tools for it. Wood sanding and finishing, metal finishing I'm good with and enjoy.

What have you done? What are some options that I'm not aware of?

Thanks
You are answering some of your own questions. Either purchase some tools or get a kit geared to your tool library. Kibler rifle is the way to go for less tool inventory in MO. What should you make? The gun you would want to shoot the most out of the choice you listed.
Don't just think about it, do it!

Larry

Don't buy a "kit" with the lock, triggers, etc., inlet for you unless it's a Kibler. I know, it seems like Kibler is the answer to every question here but it is probably the only kit(s) in the world 🌎 that are inlet with precision. The others will be exercises in frustration. When a rifle is built everything radiates out from the lock area. First comes the barrel inlet. The breech and the location of the seated breech plug determines exactly where the lock is inlet. The placement of the triggers and their inletting is based on the location of the lock. The trigger guard based on the location of the triggers. The butt plate based on the location of the trigger for LOP. Most of the pre inlet stocks will require fiddling with these locations and it can be very tricky doing it when the pre inletting is not exactly where it belongs. Furthermore even when it is well positioned the lock, etc will not be drop in. You will still have to do some inletting. Or worse, the inletting is oversized and you have to glue wood in to fill it!

If you do want to tackle a build, start with a pre shaped stock with barrel channel and ramrod hole drilled and a good book with detailed explanations on how to do things. Go slow and learn how to do things.

Otherwise, Kibler is taking orders for his smoothbore kits which anyone can easily complete.

You will never be able to inlet a barrel or lock if never give it a try. Giving up is a sure way to fail. Inletting really is not very hard. Take your time and there is nothing to it.

I agree with you Bill, but I think it's helpful for someone who is asking the question as he did to have the information that will help him think through all the options.

You don't say anything about a style of rifle you are interested in. The possible style you would be interested in will go a long way in determining where to look for what you are interested in. You don't need a special gun to successfully shoot in chunk gun matches and as others point out there aren't a lot of them around. For several years I owned and shot one rifle. A .40 caliber Douglas barrel that weighed about 8 pounds. I used it for Offhand, Light Bench, Squirrel match, Cross Sticks, over the log chunk gun, primitive and even some unlimited bench Beef shoots. I routinely won my share in all those matches.

I think first you need to decide what rifle you want. Then look to see where you can get it and what forms it's available in. I didn't buy a Kibler for two reasons, they didn't have what I wanted and I wanted to build a rifle not put it together. That being said I have the greatest respect for Kibler and what there doing. I think his rifles are on a hole different level than what's out there, except maybe some custom built. Anyway first you need to decide what you want and then figure out how to get it.

You don't say anything about a style of rifle you are interested in. The possible style you would be interested in will go a long way in determining where to look for what you are interested in. You don't need a special gun to successfully shoot in chunk gun matches and as others point out there aren't a lot of them around. For several years I owned and shot one rifle. A .40 caliber Douglas barrel that weighed about 8 pounds. I used it for Offhand, Light Bench, Squirrel match, Cross Sticks, over the log chunk gun, primitive and even some unlimited bench Beef shoots. I routinely won my share in all those matches.
All I know about styles of rifles is when I start looking at kits online. Pennsylvania, Lancaster, Virginia, SMR, Tennessee. All I would be happy with. Definitely want a swamped barrel.

I think first you need to decide what rifle you want. Then look to see where you can get it and what forms it's available in. I didn't buy a Kibler for two reasons, they didn't have what I wanted and I wanted to build a rifle not put it together. That being said I have the greatest respect for Kibler and what there doing. I think his rifles are on a hole different level than what's out there, except maybe some custom built. Anyway first you need to decide what you want and then figure out how to get it.
I've looked a lot online. Keep going back to Kibler due to the quality. Like you, I don't want to put a rifle together. But I have read a lot of hit and miss with other kits and their quality. Kibler, TVM, Chambers seem to be high quality. TOTW seems to be out of stock of a lot of items. Same with Pecatonica. Looked into Sitting Fox and found some decent kits. Then read some nit so good stories of shopping and quality issues.

Appreciate the push to try and build my own rifle stock from scratch. But I know my limits and constraints. That's not what I'm setup for or have the time to do. I'm not a gun builder. I'm a tinkerer.
Knowning your limits is smart no doubt about that. One needs to want to build before it can happen. That my friend is totally your choice.
When I started I was clueless, but really wanted to build, and build I did.
Good luck on whatever you do.
Larry

There are several options. But to chime in on the Kiblers, the Colonial and Southern Mountain Rifle require a little more hands on, but are not difficult. The Woods Runner is way easier and more “complete “ out of the box. YouTube his videos and read all the descriptions.
He has sales on ready to ship now and then.

You need a plan. Start with a paper and pencil and try and list what type and style rifle you want. Select a kit that is on the easier side and buy it.

Then take another sheet of paper and list your steps needed. Take your time and enjoy your new job. So many people think that now it is a race, Take the time to enjoy, I said this twice because it is most difficult to understand. Read instructions and check out videos on building. The longer it takes the better. Only worry about one step at a time. Did I also say take your time. Good Luck.

Back