• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too nice to shoot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westrayer

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I just received a T/C Hawken cap lock with a tang peep. Barrel sights too. Listed as "used". When I got it, I am convinced that it was never fired. Brass is bright and shiny. Nipple doesn't show any sign of hammer strike. I think I will go with something in a little ore "hunting condition". I am sure that somewhere in hunting season I will get a scratch on the perfect wood.
I guess there still are a few of these sitting in collections.

I just received a T/C Hawken cap lock with a tang peep. Barrel sights too. Listed as "used". When I got it, I am convinced that it was never fired. Brass is bright and shiny. Nipple doesn't show any sign of hammer strike. I think I will go with something in a little ore "hunting condition". I am sure that somewhere in hunting season I will get a scratch on the perfect wood.
I guess there still are a few of these sitting in collections.
Every now and then unfired ones like that do turn up. When I luck up and get a gun like that I'm always reluctant to take it out. I guess, when it comes to a brand new perfect gun that is 30-50 years old, I don't want to be the guy to mess it up. I guess that might be crazy. It's different buying a new gun to hunt with ya knew hadn't been fired. But these days I'm thinking life is too short so I'm thinking about taking my couple unfired guns out and putting them to use. Someone will eventually anyway...

Lots of guns are bought and not used. Maybe the owner thought they would use it but never did, and some are bought just for collecting. I enjoy a gun more using it. They're made for a functional tool and I've always believed that people and tools are 'happiest' when they fulfill their purpose.

I don’t believe in safe queens. Take those gems out and let them do what they were meant to do. An unfired gun is an unhappy gun!
That's what I'm thinking these days. Got a brand new unfired Jukar .45 KY rifle I bought ten years ago new old stock. A brand spankin' new Philadelphia derringer of the same vintage, and a PA flintlock I've had a couple years and never fired. Soon as I get a cleaning rod long enough for those two rifles I'm gonna fire them all up. Looking forward to it.

Flip side of that coin, you'll be the first to take her on her first adventure in the woods. If and when you do scratch, ding or dent her, you'll look at those scars and remember the hunts. We will all get to the point someday where we can't run the ridges and bottoms anymore, and the memories will be all we've got. Everytime I see a gun with honest hunting wear I think "what stories can that gun tell". Methinks you should let her eat.

Speaking for myself only, if I were to keep a ML in new condition, it would be some super fancy SMR/long rifle type. It would be hung up on my wall.

Life ain’t no practice run down here. We are only here for a short time. When we are gone, someone will be getting everything we own. Often times sold off. We cannot take worldly items with us. Might as well enjoy what we have while we can.

Some of these TC guns are very collectible and worth $$$ in unfired condition. A neighbor found an unfired TC target pistol. I advised him to keep it that way, and find a used example to shoot.

Well, boys, all I can say is that those who store guns for their descendants, who will likely hock them before their grave has settled down, are missing the point.

For goodness' sake, shoot 'em!

Here in UK, because the way that gun laws work, if you don't use 'em, they'll get took.

My brother found an old TC Hawken kit in my dad's closet after he went to assisted living. I put it together and thought briefly about keeping it pristine but changed my mind. The neck shot was finisher, I broke both his shoulders with the first shot but he still managed to snowplow away quickly when I approached him.

TC buck.JPG

I have 9 B/P guns and hunt mostly with flint so this rifle will stay in pretty good shape with just a few woods scrapes that it got while I was hunting with it.

Collecting guns is one thing. Investing in them is a fool's errand. Plenty of more productive spots to park your money.

But if you see something valuable on the table with the used clothing, gimcracks and gewgaws at a yard sale go for it. Never going to happen for me because I don't do yard sales. Have been known to make an occasional score at estate sales. But I knew what was there going in and knew just how much I was willing to pay.

Solanco,
I have never lost money on a gun. Lucky, I guess. But I don't buy on impulse, or try not to do so. And to follow up on your earlier post, I probably will sell it to regain my investment.

Back