• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Took A Drive This Evening... (A Short Story)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I heard rumors of a lil' hole-in-the-wall gunstore out by the county line opposite of the one I'm near.

Actually it was supposed to be fairly close to where I used to live out in the country, as a boy. Farmland.

Anyway, this place was supposed to only be open 6-8pm Thu, then Fri and Sat by appointment.

I felt like taking a drive anyway, so I hopped in my Blazer and lit a shuck.

Found the place - lil' sign out front advertising that it was a gunstore, and there was a nice lil' garage out back that looked like it might sell stuff. Lights were off.

The other building looked like someone's house.

Went up to the house door and knocked. A lady answered and I said "Hi Ma'am. I heard there was supposed to be a gunstore 'round here someplace." (Yep, I really talk like that). She replied that he was changing clothes and would be right out.

Walked in and I'll be damned if that fully half the place isn't dedicated to muzzleloading. First thing I noticed was a nice powder horn laying on the counter by the door. Second thing was he had most stuff I've been wanting but didn't think I could get locally. CCI musket caps on the cheap, about every nipple ever made - including some locally made from stainless which look to be at least the equal of anything made on a larger scale - moulds, old stock, new stock, all crammed into one lil' store. Of course the other half was smokeless, and I guess maybe we had some conversatin' to do.

I asked about the place - how long it had been there (six years), that I'd heard it was just a retirement thing (nope, he's got a "real job" too, does this on the side, and only has the energy to be open those hours, he's not planning on going anyplace). Funny thing though, I one thing of sub powder in the place, Triple Se7en.

However, when I asked about rumors that he had Holy Black, his face lit and he opened this nice lil' homemade safe - wooden on the outside so to give a good appearance, but reinforced. Asked me how much I wanted.

I told him I only had enough for a pound. He told me 21 bucks even - he already includes tax in his prices, no calculators or guess work!

I invented a proprietary "J.S. Lube" for use on smokeless pistol bullets a while back, a dry lube, and he was very interested in trying out a few. They're being made right now, on the second step of three.

Had a .45 T/C Hawken in the corner.

Talked for a bit, he likes my gunsmithing work, wants to see more, especially the single set trigger I made for my Savage Squirrel Sniper.

But man... a source for Holy Black! Yes! He "only" carries Goex (I asked about Swiss) but he says he can get any I want at the same price. Might have to take him up on that one of these days.

I plan on accumulating the Goex faster than I can shoot it. Right now I'm at a pound and a half.

One thing I did NOT see were many balls or ready-made bullets. Just one or two blister packs of .490" balls.

I cast a LOT of balls. Cast 10 .490", alternate to 10 .440", 10 .452" conical for CF handgun, then back again when the .490 mould has cooled. The moulds have their sprue plates modified so as to reduce any voids, and a cutting and tumbling process I use takes out any further voids and gives real accurate balls.

I think I might give him a few of those too.

Might be able to wheel and deal some. I'm hopin', anyway.

Very nice guy, soft spoken, not opinionated. Talks like you're, you know, his equal. Not a gunshop commando at all.

I can't say enough good about that place. Folks, you come up near Wabash, call me and I'll take ya'll out there.

Josh

Mods: The inclusion of the smokeless items in here are only to set the tone for the store and not make it sound like I'm describing a wholly dedicated-to-muzzleloading place, though that's a big part of it. I therefore put it in the General Muzzleloading area. Figure it will do more good here anyway, than it would down below where folks looking for powder and such may not see it. J.S.

I'm thinking you were going to that fabric store to check on that lady, and went to the gun shop as an after thought. :hmm: Bill

Ok, now I read your post.

Why would he sell Swiss at the same price? It has to cost him more.

Although you paid a Swiss price for that Goex. Maybe that's why. Tell him you want Swiss for the same price next time.

Dport said:
Was it Tim at the Buljet Trap?

Yup, sure was. Man, you're local. I used to live at 100N 700W Wabash, but with my phone number being 833-5482.

Small world!

I'm over here halfway between Wabash and Lagro now.

Josh

Good for you, it's always nice to find a local gold mine.
"Might be able to wheel and deal some. I'm hopin', anyway."
Them kinda fellers usually been around the block a few times.
Maybe you can do some dealin with'im, just be fair and you might'n be surprised what you can git. Those guy's are init for profit or to support their own hobby, they need to see a bright side to the deal.
Just keep in mind;
"You can fleece a sheep once a year, but you can only skin it once".

necchi said:
Good for you, it's always nice to find a local gold mine.
"Might be able to wheel and deal some. I'm hopin', anyway."
Them kinda fellers usually been around the block a few times.
Maybe you can do some dealin with'im, just be fair and you might'n be surprised what you can git. Those guy's are init for profit or to support their own hobby, they need to see a bright side to the deal.
Just keep in mind;
"You can fleece a sheep once a year, but you can only skin it once".

Yup.

Traded in a .22 on something once to another gunshop.

The man sold it and it was brought back as not firing.

I took a look at it, 'cause I know it fired just fine. Turns out the firing pin was busted, probably from dry firing.

Couldn't prove it, but the guy who bought it probably busted it, then brought it back.

Gunshop owner didn't know who do blame.

I asked a few questions, and to remain on good relations, went home and grabbed a collectible rifle I had laying around (cherry, safe queen, never shot). Told him he could give me half the book price for it, throw it up on Gunbroker, and double or triple his money.

He was reluctant 'cause he didn't want to rip me off, I insisted because I told him I felt partly responsible (I was - I sold him the .22! :grin: ) and sure 'nuff, doubled his money in a couple days.

Made a tradin' friend for life, there. Not so much because of the money, I don't think, but rather because I was willing to make right what I only might have made wrong (pretty sure I didn't make it wrong).

Still, it was worth it. Lots of good deals since.

I don't like spending money even when I have it. I'd rather swap 'cause it's fun. Anyone I can build trade relations with is awesome in my book :thumbsup:

Josh

You ever heard of keeping things simple and to the point?
I made it through a couple lines and got lost in all the excess verbiage.

You ever read Twain?

Often 'the point' is the journey itself. Sometimes it pays to take the time to enjoy the trip instead of hurrying to the end.

Before anyone misses the point, the reference to Twain is illustrative, not literal. And 'excess verbiage' is redundant, and in itself verbiage.

Dang it boy. Tumbled to a local treasure. And local is always to be treasured.

Golly, hope that weren't too many key strokes.

I enjoyed it.
I feel a bit like I went along for the ride and visit.
And that's the whole point of descriptive writing. :thumbsup:

The only Swiss that I have found locally is $25./lb. Matter of fact it is the only place that I have found so far that even sells BP.

That shop (and the owner) are a treasure and a dying breed. The country used to be peppered with them, and I'll drive a lot further than you did to reach one. I enjoyed your account and descriptions.

Wheeling and dealing? No negative connotations on it for me. If both parties feel like they got a good deal, that's what it's all about. It also happens to be the stock and trade of little shops like the one you found.

Carry on, and think of the rest of us while you enjoy the privileges of such a shop and potentially new friend! :hatsoff:

I'm sitting here counting the black powder shops that existed, at one time, within a twenty mile radius of my house. I came up with six that I remember, but all went out of business in the 80's or early 90's. I'd go into one of these shops for a tang bolt, or a jag, and stay for an hour just shooting the bologna.

Now, it's all Sportsment's Warehouse, big five, R.E.I., and a couple of family owned businesses that at one time were great, but now cater mostly to the yuppie types, selling overpriced yuppie stuff. Try asking for black powder at one of these places and you'll either get the blank stare, or someone will hit the "Hate Crime" button.

Nice find Josh :thumbsup: . I miss those places. Bill

Back