• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tool list

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamamarine

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I built a few rifles a couple of years ago and in a bit I should have time to get back into it. I still have the basic tools I was using before and I've seen a tool list on ALR. I was wondering what everyone here would call a required tool list for a serious though non-professional builder. If you're like me you can always come up with a reason to buy more tools but for the sake of this discussion lets assume there's not an unlimited budget. The kits I've built have shaped stocks but still require a little finish shaping. Barrels and ram rods are already inlet.

Well, barrels, locks, triggers and what have you are not completely inlet... Don't let the "kit" name fool you or the fact the wood is pre-carved. Allot of tedious, detailed work must happen!

For starters, books... good reference materials are a must.

From there don't go crazy with buying this and that. Basic hand tools, files and chisels are an absolute must I'd say.

Honestly, allot of the chisels I have I've made. You'll find that the more you get into building you may want to fashion a tool for this or that.

Honestly, the first tool you should buy indeed needs to be good literature on building. My favorite is Recreating the American Long rifle. It will give you excellent advice on not only tools but techniques on building and what not.

From there you'll find allot of your tools become personal, what may work for you may not for someone else. Right off, GOOD chisels and files are a must! Welcome to your new addiction!!! :thumbsup:

solid work bench and bench vise

good bench chisels sized 1/2 inch, 1/4 inch, 1/8 inch and 1/16 inch.....may have to grind one down.
By the most used tool is the 1/4 inch chisel.

You can use a cheaper thinner hobby type chisel re shaped to use for cutting curves. This thin flat chisel is used for cutting curves by taking small bites and curving the tool as you cut....you can make a clean cut in this manner for lock noses. Some use an exacto for this or a gouge. I prefer a little flat chisel.

49 and 50 pattern makers rasps.

A selection of files of all sizes including round rat tail rasps and files.

rifflers and pin chisels (literally a little chisel made from a 1/16 pin)

A large crescent or steam wrench for breech plugs

suitable vise pads

a handrill motor with a good selection of drills

Taps

pencils and scribes

scrapers

a candle

sharpening stones and strop

ball/cross peen hammers of all sizes, dead blow/non marring, smaller hammers for light work and driver handles for chisels..I have used a simple hickory hammer handle

rulers/calipers

depth gauges...a screw in a block works well

hand saw....coping saw is the minimum

hack saw

shears or snips

scissors

optional....
drill press and jigs
band saw
grinder
block plane
mortice planes

One of the most used pieces of power equipment in my shop is an old homemade 1 inch vertical slack belt sander.

My father in law built the thing back in the late 40's or early 50's and gave it to me several years ago.

It takes a readily available 1"x41" sand paper belt and has been the bee's knee's for more projects from polishing to sizing down wood & metal.

I know many here like to do the work with all hand tools and stay closer to history, but I also use electric lighting and power drills and saws.

you have good advice here. i would urge you to avoid the siren song of chisel sets: they look pretty, but you'll end up using a few and the rest will just sit there, thumbing their metallic nose at you.

also, get a few books. Recreating the American Longrifle, and The Gunsmith of Grenville County come to mind ... these books are a bit spendy, but if you read them through, they will more than save their purchase price in parts you don't ruin.

a good sharpening system is essential. cheap tools suck, but dull tools will get you badly hurt.

good luck with your project.

psst! should we tell him about the highly addictive nature of this hobby? Nah, he'll catch on soon enough ...

Thanks for the advice so far, and please keep it coming. I've got and read most of the books named but I'm sure there are others out there that can and should use this advice. When I started there was no internet to ask for help from so the more mistakes we can help others avoid the better. Like the chisels I have that sit there unused and un-needed (one of my many mistakes)

Do you all have favorite suppliers or manufacturers? I've seen certain manufacturers listed a couple of times but when I read more about them they get poor reviews. Are we allowed to list manufacturers you think you should avoid to avoid here? I've always tried to buy quality first rather than shop by price and have to replace what ever it was with better later.

If you can, make chisels. The vast majority of chisels I use are made. Very easy to do even without a forge. Good tool steel is available at most hobby shops in the form of music wire.

Once hardened and tempered they take a phenomenal edge and maintain it. My most widely used chisels are a 1/8" bent and a 1/4" bent. Along with a 1/2" straight. All I've made myself with little time invested other than honing.

If making tools is not your forte, I've found ebay to be a great resource. I got lucky and purchased a set of German chisels off of an individual who got out of building rifles. Saved a rear-end load of money buying quality used tools.

Antique shops are also great, I use allot of antique tools for building that just can't be bought anywhere.

For files I'm a Nicholson fan. Again I try and search for the older files. However I got lucky and inherited my grandfather's file set which is the cats meow.

One handy item I've bought new is a Stanley sureform rasp for rapid wood shaping and removal along with a Stanley mini hand plane.

You certainly don't have to spend a fortune on your tools, you definitely can very quick though. Personally the best way to learn IMO is do as you are (asking questions) and to learn how to properly use and master what you have before rushing out and buying this or that. Patience and a keen eye to detail are very important tools as well. :thumbsup:

Track of the Wolf has a bent chisel design (here's a link):
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/715/1/CHISEL-BC-14

these come in a variety of sizes, and i've found them useful (and not overly expensive) ... easy to keep sharp, too...

i like the Solingen chisels, and i would avoid the chinese made stuff, unless the price is free-to-a-good-home, and you don't mind spending a LOT of time at the sharpening bench ... (yes, you really should have a designated area for sharpening - it needn't be huge, but you should have one) ...

another thought: there are a bunch of good DVDs to be had, and there are a boatload of u-tube videos (these weren't available when i was bitten, darn it - -coulda saved a bunch of spoiled parts and bad language)

then there's this site, whic is my personal "go to" when i can't figure out how to extricate myself from my latest self- inflicted disaster.

good luck, and Make Good Smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:
several years ago I purchased a high speed 2" belt sander. One like the the knife maker use. It is constantly in use from sharpening knifes with 800 to 1000 grit belts to shaping a rifle stock blank with a 24 grit belt and everything in between such as making carving tools.

If I was to start over again with tools, that would be my first one. Costly then and more costly now.

It depends a lot on what kind of guns you want to build. no matter what your told here you will need something else when you get going.
I started out with some second hand tools from the second hand store about 1960 on my first longrifle. Now I probably have $55,000 worth of just gun tools and books at a minimum and still buying some.
No end to tool buying.

The file here with a little grip on the tip is good for more things than bow making.
http://www.bowyersedge.com/stock.html

I use a spoon shaped Stanley cheese grater type file for a whole lot of rough shaping of just about everything I make. Just don't try to cut to the finished dimensions with one.

I also have rasps with quite a taper from tip to base found on ebay. I think I was looking for barret files when I found them. With the almost pointed tip I can cut into very tight spaces, or use them full length like any other ramps. The 49 and 50 files are a must have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back