• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Paskowski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a couple muzzleloaders, I want to redo. Can someone recommend what tools I will need for this and what I should have for repairs. This is my first venture in this new hobby and I want to make sure I start off right. I'll be rebluing, cleaning, refinishing the stocks, cleaning the bores, and any other repairs I come across.

Is there a problem with this question? I just wanted a little insight into what tools I should buy. Anything special and the such.

WVDave Hi! If you will go to search and put in
tools I think you will find what you need.
hope this will help!

Fred

Hmmm I'll give it a shot. You're going to need a proper set of screw drivers, lots of sandpaper from 120 grit to 220 at least, a couple of good single cut files in case you need to file any parts down after you've sanded, a good small (1/4 or even 1/8") chisel to use as a scraper to remove finish that gets in your mortices, stains if you plan on using them, and whatever finish you decide on. Someone else will need to make suggestions for bluing solutions.

What you might need to clean up your bores really depends on whats wrong with them. A scraper to clean the breech area, plastic brush, and brass brush (as a last resort IMO)

There's a bunch more I'm sure but that is what comes right to mind.

First thing I'd do is give them a good cleaning, do you have a range rod and the right jag for their caliber? If not pick them up and clean them with dish soap and water. Then check the bores with a bore light or small flash light. Then oil them with a good gun oil after drying them.

What kind of weapons are these? Hooked breach like a T/C or pinned like most full stocks?

Your asking a lot, a list of all the things you will need for a complete refinish job maybe quite long. Take it one step at a time and I'm sure a lot of guys will give you help along the way here, it's a real good group of folks.

Now after you give it a good cleaning sit down and look at it, think about what you want to change.

But before you do any major refinishing take it to the range and burn up some powder. The shooting is the fun part. After a few pounds of powder you might have a much better idea of what you want to do or what you want your weapons to look like.

Here is a partial list of some of the tools you should have. It is a partial list becuase a person can never have too many tools. :rotf:

Three good straight bit screw drivers. One small one medium and one large. When working on guns, the most common mistake is trying to use a screwdriver that is too small for the slot in the screw. This will always booger up the slot making it look like a beginner attacked it. If your stock of screw drivers do not fit the slot be prepared to buy another one that does fit.

Medium sized Vise-Grips. These are handy not only for grabbing things but they can serve to hold small parts while you work on them.

Flat Files. A 8 inch and a 10 inch flat "Mill" file and a 6 inch triangular file.

An electric hand drill plus an assortment of good drill bits.

A plastic or wooden mallet. Not too big.

A small hammer. Claw or Ball Peen will be fine.

A center punch made for steel.

A small vise. A 3 inch Pony (brand) that can be clamped onto a table is very handy.

A Propane torch plus fuel.

8 inch Adjustable wrench.

A 1/4 inch wide chisel. Buy the best you can get. Sears Craftsman or Ace have some that are good enough.

Sandpaper. For wood, IMO the red garnet kind is about the best (80, 120, 220 grit) For metal get the "wet/dry" silicone carbide paper (120, 220, 320, 400 grit).

Of course you can buy a electric drill press, electric belt sander and a electric bench grinder, thread taps and tap drills... but for basic work the tools I mentioned above will be a good start.

i'm tellin ya, they ain't worth the trouble, time and money...send them to me, i'll dispose of them fer ya...Lee

Thanks for the information. Just gave the little woman a list of valentines day, birthday, and fathers day gifts.

SWMBO has a stock of small ZipLock plastic storage boxes for leftovers. They have plastic snap on lids. I managed to acquire a few and they're great for collecting small parts as they come off the gun so they don't run around and play with parts from other guns and get lost. Also, a pair of long needle nose pliers - they're great for picking up small parts that jump off the bench and try to run away. And a stock of little zip lock plastic bags, like the ones the mail order places put small stuff in for shipping (not the ones you get at the grocery store). There's a store in North or South Carolina someplace that sells them by the hundreds for a couple of bucks; I'll try to find the web site.

My question to you is, are the new to you muzzleloaders in bad shape? Or is it just your desire to make the ML's "yours", with the personal touch. If they are antiques, please leave them in the state that you received them.
Anyway, have fun with the new toys.

Latest posts

Back