• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

touch hole?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curt songer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
got another question .to make a long story short im restocking a smooth gun back into the old stock it was first built on .now question .i know the perfect place to have touch hole lone up to the lock pan .but in the old stock it was somewhat higher than it should have been (and done remember if there was any problems with[url] ignitioned.in[/url] the stock its in now it is low in the pan than what is ideal and there is problems with firing which i fell is because of this .which is the worse of the two evils and is there a way of fixing this shy of rebuilding whole gun?

Last edited by a moderator:
Deepen the pan if you can and don't fill it full of priming powder.

I would try it as is, if it ain't broke don't fix it...the hole towards the bottom of the pan sounds low to me.

unforunatley it already as a touch hole liner installed. but thanks .i thought about just taken it out and replaceing it with a screw , file it flush with barrel and then redrill right.i have heard of some doing this but im lerry of the safty of this .what do you think? thanks again
curt

curt songer said:
unforunatley it already as a touch hole liner installed. but thanks .i thought about just taken it out and replaceing it with a screw , file it flush with barrel and then redrill right.i have heard of some doing this but im lerry of the safty of this .what do you think? thanks again
curt
Curt
I have done this very thing. Using a stainless steel bolt and coneing the inside .
just don't drill into the bolt threads .
Good luck
:thumbsup:
Slenk

Perfectly safe, as long as the threads in the barrel are in good shape. Like Slenk said, before you file the liner flush with the barrel, drill your touchhole, then remove the liner and cone it from the inside. This ought to fix your ignition problem.

Deepening the pan, at the same time, would be a good idea.

Back