• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track of the Wolf

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried twice before to post this but never saw it get through. Problem may have been on my end, don't know. Anyway: has anyone bought flints from Track lately? I ordered a dozen Black English flints for my Colonial. Each one has a very high hump, so high that the jaws screw had to be backed out to where there was only a little thread remaining to use. I'm in a wheel chair this week and can't get to my stuff, so I have no photo. Didn't call Track 'cause I don't suppose they are actually defective and will function as well as thin flints. They are taller than any store-bought flints I've ever seen. As my son would say, "'Sup wid 'at?"
Just get a bench grinder green wheel from Grainger for sharpening carbide tools and grind the hump off. Keep a bowl of water handy for dipping them so they stay cool and don't get hot enough to crack on you. I do it with bare fingers so I have to keep dipping them as they get hot. Wear a dust mask!

Last edited:
I tried twice before to post this but never saw it get through. Problem may have been on my end, don't know. Anyway: has anyone bought flints from Track lately? I ordered a dozen Black English flints for my Colonial. Each one has a very high hump, so high that the jaws screw had to be backed out to where there was only a little thread remaining to use. I'm in a wheel chair this week and can't get to my stuff, so I have no photo. Didn't call Track 'cause I don't suppose they are actually defective and will function as well as thin flints. They are taller than any store-bought flints I've ever seen. As my son would say, "'Sup wid 'at?"
This is why I always pick my flints out in person at Log Cabin Sport Shop or at an event.
I too like the flatter flints because there is more room for the leather or lead with more of the jaw screw holding everything solidly.

if you sand, grind or file flints DON'T breather the dust it's micro glass that will cut your lung tissue
use a good filter mask or make a water slurry to keep dust out of the air you breath face mask.jpgwhen I knap/make gun flints I do it outside with a cross breeze or a fan blowing away the micro partials

Last edited:
I have run into this many times myself. Flints from all over and even many original ones from the 18th and 19th century. What kind of diamond file would one use?? rotary?

My closest ML shop is an hour away. To make the trip worthwhile I try to pick up a few when I go there for anything else. Currently looking for #11 caps and it seems these will require a trip, so I plan on picking up a few more.

I have run into this many times myself. Flints from all over and even many original ones from the 18th and 19th century. What kind of diamond file would one use?? rotary?
Something like this is what I use and works great to get a good flat surface

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240910_070907_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240910_070907_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 0
One thing I wanted to mention here, I have often dug revolutionary. Plants out of the sand down in the Savannah Georgia area. Many of the blonde flints that originated in Germany or Austria and found their way here tend to be entirely pyramidal. They have no flat on the top at all. This is partially because many of the Austrian and early French muskets, had a very straight frizzen. It sticks up at almost a 90Ā° angle. If you clamp one of these weird pyramid shaped flints into the hammer, it will strike at the correct angle to slide down that vertical frizzen and not just break into pieces. I have always assumed, that many of the blonde ones were cut that way. Some of the later ones that are nibbled around the back like most French flints, and are probably French Marine issue are perfectly flat on top. So it's an all together different thing.

One thing I wanted to mention here, I have often dug revolutionary. Plants out of the sand down in the Savannah Georgia area. Many of the blonde flints that originated in Germany or Austria and found their way here tend to be entirely pyramidal. They have no flat on the top at all. This is partially because many of the Austrian and early French muskets, had a very straight frizzen. It sticks up at almost a 90Ā° angle. If you clamp one of these weird pyramid shaped flints into the hammer, it will strike at the correct angle to slide down that vertical frizzen and not just break into pieces. I have always assumed, that many of the blonde ones were cut that way. Some of the later ones that are nibbled around the back like most French flints, and are probably French Marine issue are perfectly flat on top. So it's an all together different thing.
Great post, thanks.

Back