• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track Tennessee Long Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traceywalker

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Having a great time with my GPR. My son just completed his and doing well with sighting in. I'm getting the itch to try another kit,something a bit more complex. Always liked the lines of the Tennessee Long Rifles. Considering the Classic Track Tennessee Long Rifle kit. Going to stay with percussion this time around. Anybody have any history/suggestions regarding the Track kit?
As always, many thanks
Rangertrace

My suggestion would be buy the stock somewhere else that uses a lock that is more correct. The TN and a Siler lock are not correct, even tho I have done it myself, I still don't like the lock on that rifle. Were it me I would buy it elsewhere & use a Chambers Ketland lock & round off the tail & it would look more like a TN lock. Some will suggest a L&R Manton, it would work as all it has to do is snap a cap, however if you decide on a flintlock, no way I would a use it, nothing but headaches & no use starting off with a problem lock. You will have enough to deal with & don't need that aggravation.

Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

Check with Tip Curtis if you want a TN kit with a correct English Lock. You can search for his contact info on here.

Sean

hey trace

well you got some good advice! a jim chambers rifle wood be good, cant beat his locks. i would at least call tip curtiss. i buy all my parts from him. and his prices are good for what you get. the wood will be a better quality than you expect to see for the money. your gonna have a good time building one of these "real" guns. i know i love the Isaac Haines i got from him. and the lock on mine is chambers parts worked over by tip himself. if i were you i would think seriously about building a flinter. you wont regret it! i promise. tip
curtis contact info is (615) 654-4445.

at least call him, and talk to this good ole boy, he is a wealth of knowledge.

karwelis

Just got back from a trip to Tennessee and I visited Tip's shop. You will not regret contacting him! He has some great looking Tennessee's in the white for around $900. Excellent work, correct, quality parts! Stay away from the Manton, been there, done that and never again! I agree with going with a flint lock, you won't regret it.

I guess I will have to stop & see Tip this week as I have to go that way in a couple of days. Last time I checked with him (couple of months ago) he didn't have a Correct lock for a Original TN rifle that he can show a evidence of it existing. He was using a MG lock, a Siler lock, or a english style lock with a tail on it he is having made & I have yet to find a original TN rifle that has a lock like his on one. Most of the TN originals I have seen had a rounded tail on the lockplate or they had a flat cut off the tail of the lockplate. (There was a Great exibition of TN & Southern rifles at the last CLA show, if someone has some photos they would share of the original TN's)
I have built Tip's Tenn. Rifle parts set & it is a good set & quality parts, but the ones I built didn't have a PC lock on them, they had a small MG lock on them. But maybe he has something different now, I will go check it out.

You can make a Ketland look similar to at TN lock by modifying the pan & frizzen & hammer & rounding off the tail of the lockplate. This way you get the Quality of the Chambers lock & a very close lookalike to the TN lock. Make sure the stock you buy doesn't have a inlet done for the lock as you are making the lock shorter than the inlet. Unless it is a new pattern, this lock won't work on Tip's Tenn. pattern, nor TOW's Tenn. pattern. Petatonica does have one it will work on as you can get it without the lock inlet on theirs, as well as Jacks Mountain Stocks will do one without the lock inlet.

What is really boils down to is do you want it to be PC or just a generic TN style rifle that most produce now. If I was not worried about it being PC, I would build a TN with a late Ketland lock on it & it will do everything you would ever want a lock to do.

:thumbsup:

I cant speak on TN mountain rifles but on southern rifles I have found that a bales lock has been used. Would that be okay for a TN rifle ans well?

Back