• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tracking/scouting game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have become a fan of cameras, they work well and a person can learn a lot from them.

Thank you, Richard....
Yes, I know what your saying very well, observation is how people that wrote the books learned what they learned so they could write the books....

But.....He is looking for a book.....

Link

I'm going to order it for the military info but from the reviews it has hunting applications as well.

Cameras can be a doubled edged sword. They help you pattern the deer but they also help the deer pattern you!.... checking the camera.

I have these three.

Tom Brown Jr. :

The Science and Art of Tracking

(Hard core down in the dirt learning)

ISBN 0-425-15772-5

Field Guide: Nature Observation and Tracking

ISBN 0-425-09966-0

Paul Rezendez:

Tracking and the Art of Seeing

(Covers most North American Animals with great pictures/illustrations of tracks and feet/hooves)

ISBN 0-06-273524-1

54ball said:
Link

I'm going to order it for the military info but from the reviews it has hunting applications as well.

Cameras can be a doubled edged sword. They help you pattern the deer but they also help the deer pattern you!.... checking the camera.

Every time you leave the house you are being patterened.

colorado clyde said:

They also allow other people to pattern you.

And allow you to identify and have the Game Warden arrest trespassers. Amazing what and whom shows up on cameras.

Like a fish finder they are right there why can't I get one.I have two G/C they show up very early or late,,,just when you know the're are no deer in the area, they show up..

For deer hunting; How To Bag The Biggest Buck of Your Life, by Benoit.

I don't like the trail cameras. I can learn a lot more by getting to a high point and watching deer movement. I also don't like the idea of someone stealing my expensive cameras.

This bow season, I have had really good luck by simply walking into a new area and setting up a climbing stand to watch an obvious "funnel" area. I've taken a good buck and doe with my longbow, and passed many more smaller bucks and does with fawns.

I try not to think too hard about where the deer might walk. I let 50 years of deer hunting experience guide my " intuition" about where to sit or hang a stand.

When I hunt with my flintlock, I like to very slowly move into the wind and spot the deer before they see me. I feel that a flintlock is so much more effective than a longbow, that a tree stand or blind would be taking too much advantage.

Am I the only one that finds an ironic duality in hunting with a muzzleloader and using game cameras ?

Yep I'm a muzzleloader hunter....I sit perched in a tree lounger, all dressed up in my 18th century attire, using my smart phone to control my drone with a thermal camera as it surveys the area from the air...once I find them with the drone I send in the tank like battle bots to roust the deer from their beds and drive them right to me....

:shake: ..... :rotf: ...... :shocked2: :youcrazy:

colorado clyde said:
Am I the only one that finds an ironic duality in hunting with a muzzleloader and using game cameras ?

Yep I'm a muzzleloader hunter....I sit perched in a tree lounger, all dressed up in my 18th century attire, using my smart phone to control my drone with a thermal camera as it surveys the area from the air...once I find them with the drone I send in the tank like battle bots to roust the deer from their beds and drive them right to me....

:shake: ..... :rotf: ...... :shocked2: :youcrazy:

Same as using a Kawasaki Mule to get there and using your new Lee Mold to mold your balls along with Nikon optics.

and I use Jon-E hand warmers,poly propoline underware,carry and eat Snickers and wear Tri-focals.but yes I do hunt with a mass manufactured Muzzle loader made to look somewhat an old original, and have a great time doing it.See you up the trail,,drink up stream from the herd..

Honda, Lyman, and Pentax.....But I rarely carry Binocs for deer hunting......if it's to far to see, it's too far to shoot with a muzzleloader.... :haha:

My Uncle was an Old Trapper who taught me to track/hunt..Lot to learn and I don't know it could be written in a book..basics maybe, but then you just have to get in the woods and go for it.
Good to have a Mentor,adds to the learning and teaching,,Kids always have more questions than I have answers, :hmm:

colorado clyde said:
Honda, Lyman, and Pentax.....But I rarely carry Binocs for deer hunting......if it's to far to see, it's too far to shoot with a muzzleloader.... :haha:

Where I hunt there is a 13" minimum antler spread restriction, anything less will get you a visit with the JUDGE after a free ride with Game Warden to see the Judge.

:rotf: :rotf: Thing about them Game Wardens, you can call them all the bad names you know and they still give you a ride to jail'
I use bino's cause it saves me walking way over there to try and sneek up and see what it is.
Snuck up on a "deer" once, long stock and time,I could see the tail waving on a Deer,,turned out a dried fern blowing in the wind.. :wink: I had him..never knew I was there, :)

Boy can I relate to that, I once stalked, what looked like a doe feeding, lowering her head to take a bite, that turned out to be a palmetto frond blowing in the breeze. There are a thousand things in the woods that look like a deer, but a deer never looks like anything else, LOL......robin :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Binoculars aren't always used for seeing what's faraway. A low power pair can be very effective for picking apart brush, I've spotted more than one deer in thick laurel that I would not have seen without using binoculars to disect the area.

To the o.p. Asbel's book on ground hunting is very good. Covers still hunting, stalking, ground blinds and temporary blinds, as well as info on scouting and a bit on tracking. It's directed toward bowhunters, especially traditional bowhunters, but if his techniques can get you close enough for a longbow kill, they will certainly work for a traditional muzzleloader.

Back