• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tracking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people think deer are like water balloons filled with blood....when hit blood goes everywhere. But such is not always the case....there are voids within the chest cavity that can allow a ball to pass through without doing much damage.

When I was younger, I took some not-so-good shots, and then I would feel terrible, when I couldn't recover the animal. My shooting habits are more thought out now, then they were back then, but if I fail to recover a deer, I think back to what my late father-in-law, used to say, "Son you ain't the only one on this earth that's got to eat". Nothing goes to waste, critters got to eat, and who knows what might grow in the enriched soil, where that deer layed.

After many years of hunting, I've seemed to develop an instinct for where the animal is going and my recovery rate has greatly increased. For a good shot, I'm thinking downhill, heavy cover, and water, which are usually the same location.

It's great to hear such effort being given to find them. I hear to many at the check stations tell of how they couldn't find it. You have to look at everything not just blood. I've had them take a very sharp turn and no blood after that turn, or stuff themselves in a tiny spot under the inkberry bushes. Seeing those few hoof prints that slid or angled off, and being down at knee level was what it took to see a doe that was in a very watery area stuffed under shrubs. Keep up the good tracking. :thumbsup:

Although there are always exceptions, most deer only have a vague idea of what the problem is when they are shot.

Running is a natural reflex when they are hit but after going a few dozen yards they will stop to see what is after them.

If the hunter is making a lot of noise, following them they will start to run again.

If the hunter takes his time and quietly reloads his muzzleloader the deer will continue to look around and listen.
That's about the time they realize they don't feel very good and they will often look for a bush or small tree to lay down under.

Once they do that, if the shot was close to the mark, that's where they will be found after a slow, careful search.

The moral of the story is, place the shot right, then give the deer a chance to lay down before trailing it.
Usually, you won't have to go far before you find it.

Zonie said:
Although there are always exceptions, most deer only have a vague idea of what the problem is when they are shot.

Running is a natural reflex when they are hit but after going a few dozen yards they will stop to see what is after them.

If the hunter is making a lot of noise, following them they will start to run again.

If the hunter takes his time and quietly reloads his muzzleloader the deer will continue to look around and listen.
That's about the time they realize they don't feel very good and they will often look for a bush or small tree to lay down under.

Once they do that, if the shot was close to the mark, that's where they will be found after a slow, careful search.

The moral of the story is, place the shot right, then give the deer a chance to lay down before trailing it.
Usually, you won't have to go far before you find it.

I generally wait an hour before moving after the shot, and have still had 3 deer run an incredible distance after a perfect hit. (The story above is one of the 3)

I hear that! I once shot a turkey at 125 yards with my .50 TC. The turkey was with a flock of about 10 others walking more or less in a line. At the shot the smoke was so thick I couldn't see a thing, but wings were beating everywhere. I reloaded and walked to where I thought the bird was and it was hit right at the wing butt--- just right. YEP, Sean, its better to be lucky than good.

I started using the shoulder shot in the attempt to anchor the deer rather than heart/lung shots. I try to break the front shoulder bones.

This is the shot I used with a 30-30 when I started hunting and they never ran. Last years doe was hit high shoulder with a .54 rb and was down and out right there. 80 grain 3f; flint Deerstalker about 65 yards; little blood. Folded up like a suitcase.

I have had to track a few over the years and a couple were not found. The shoulder shot limits how far they could go if they do run but I never have had one run with that hit; including centerfires.

I too use that shot placement both for ML and CF shots.It just plain works :thumbsup:

Back