• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track's bag mold review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
10gaballs002.jpg

Ok, I thought I was buying a rapine bag mold but I actually bought a track house brand. These moulds are made in Pakistan and they have a nice appearance. That is about where the nice remarks end. The ball it casts is oval shape and the mold leaks a little, there are machining marks that transfer to the ball and there is no flat spot on the topp of the mold for the lead to pool to allow for shrinkage so you end up with a hollow ball. So I'd say it makes a good display or an ok fishing sinker mold(that's what I'm doing with mine).

Had the same problem with mine when I bought it. Mine was almost .030 oval. The guy said they were getting alot of returns when sent mine back.

That is indeed a good review for others too heed.
Thanks for the info.
Unless you need a fishing sinker mold, I'd send the thing back and simply tell them it's not a "round ball" mold.
I know Track as I live near there, to get the best value for your "returned item" dollar it would be a good idea to apply the money towards another purchase, They have a ton of items that are name brand and of better quality.

I think you should shoot them first before dismissing the mould. I have a similar one and it shoots pretty good from my rifle. Go shoot a few.

That's actually a pretty fair representation of the hand made bag molds used "back in the day". Use it for a while and it will get worse, as the hinge joint wears loose the two halves of the ball won't even be on the same plane. That is especially true of those which have the built in "sprue nipper", using that feature will loosen the joint very quickly.

the 62 I got back in 07 works ok and shoots ok for hunting balls would not use it for match work and I do only use it when out camping hunting it is not a rcbs or even a lee it is a small bag mold

CoyoteJoe said:
That's actually a pretty fair representation of the hand made bag molds used "back in the day". Use it for a while and it will get worse, as the hinge joint wears loose the two halves of the ball won't even be on the same plane. That is especially true of those which have the built in "sprue nipper", using that feature will loosen the joint very quickly.
I started collecting some old bag molds a few years ago when they were fairly inexpensive. I was amazed at how crude they were and often wondered how any would shoot accurately from a rifle. I've never shot any of the balls cast from them.

yup, and you can't say it's from wear because the most prominant marks transfered to the ball seem to be the lines and gouges the cherry made.

Mazo Kid,
Like you, I collected quite a few old bag molds over the years, some good and some not so good. I have a longrifle with a .29 caliber Bill Large barrel on it and dug through the mold box until I found one that was close. Cast up a batch of balls and shot them with good accuracy through the Large barrel. Don't even think about asking me what size it cast but they work!!
Mark :v

Has anyone tried molds from Larry Callahan? I've seen his ads in Muzzleloader.

Post Rider said:
Has anyone tried molds from Larry Callahan? I've seen his ads in Muzzleloader.

I just received my new .530 bag mold from Larry Callahan. Looks great! Soon as I get a chance to run some ball with it I'll post the results.

Back