• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track's full stock Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamamarine

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking making Track's full stock Hawken and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one. I see two kits to choose from. One with barrels up to 42", the other with barrels up to 36". The kit up to 42" still offers 36" barrels but is about $100 more that the other kit. Is there a difference between the two? I was leaning toward the shorter rifle anyway. What am I missing? Why is there a price difference? Everything else looks the same to me.

Not when I pull up the parts list. One gun has brass trim pre selected in the list price.
Why bother anyway? Pecatonica can pull together all the parts for a fullstock Hawken, faster, and cheaper. $616 plus your choice of stock. With the money you save you can upgrade 3 levels and build your gun with an awesome curly stock.
Their gunsmithing services are cheaper as well if you need dovetails cut.

Actually the cheaper kit with the 36" barrel has an option of either brass or iron with the brass furniture being about $20 more. Also the longer barrel is more expensive.

My thought is who would want Hawken rifle with brass furniture? That's just me though.

I had a friend in Germany who built one of these and it was pretty nice. I would rather have the longer barrel as I think that's more fitting for a full stocked rifle although I know there are exceptions.

The difference is in the stocks. The one with 1 x 42" barrel says "pre-shaped, pre-inlet for L&R lock, plain maple, $299". The one with the shorter barrel says pre-inlet for L&R lock, plain maple, $175. I think it would be pre-shaped same as the other. $124 difference. I have built two of these and the shorter barrel is less heavy (notice I do not say "lighter") and easier to shoot.

Herb said:
The difference is in the stocks.
Like Herb says, but to be more precise, the difference in is the butt stock. The longer barrel version, STK-EHF-16, has a better shaped comb. The top of which forms a line that intersects the upper lock panel like it should. The butt plate with this kit is much better, also.
early-hawken-fullstock-flint-parts-list_2.jpg

On the other kit, with stock STK-HFI-16, the front of the comb barely rises above the wrist and the line of the comb is angled lower, and into the upper portion of the lock. The butt plate with this kit is the least Hawken like that Track sells. Basically, the point of the heel doesn't come back far enough. For some, this might be preferable for comfort reasons, but aesthetically, it's wrong.
kit-hawken-fullstock-16-flint_2.jpg

Note, Track's stock STK-HFI-16 is the same as Pecatonica's.
HAWKENFULL3w262.jpg

Compare the combs and butt plates on the kits above to these originals.
Ed%20Louer%20Hawken%20Cheek%20Rest_zpsvvvp0pcj.jpg

Gordon%20Hawken%20Cheek%20Rest_zpso9spbcfj.jpg

I personally think the difference is worth the extra $120+, but that's just my preference.

Back