• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade gun turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradCayton

40 Cal
Reaction score
We were fortunate enough to have a fall turkey season in my county this year as the turkey population is up. I've watched a couple flocks all summer here on my little piece of land come through pretty well every day. I didn't bushhog my pasture the last time because the turkeys were feeding through daily eating bugs and grasshoppers.
This morning was our week long opener and it had been raining all night and still a steady rain when I got up this morning. Not the best conditions for a flintlock but I went anyway.
I got back under a big oak which had a couple small holly and pine trees around it and tried to keep my lock dry.

A couple hours after daylight, I saw a flock feeding my way and slowly eased my lock cover off and primed the pan keeping my hat brim over the lock trying to keep it dry. One young hen gave me a shot at about 20 yards but when I pulled the trigger the prime only fired. I guess the main charge had drawn dampness because the pan was dry. She didn't pay much attention to me and the flock moved on past me as I wiped the pan dry, cussing myself for letting that happen. About 20 minutes later I saw the flock coming back my way. I worked a little 4f in the touch hole with my pick, primed and got ready again. This time she lit and an 1 1/4 of 5s in front of 70 grains of 3f sealed the deal at 18 paces. I'm tickled to death and was shaking like a kid. It was a morning I'll remember when I can no longer be out hunting.

Good job! :thumbsup:

It pays to get out in bad weather and not be a wuss like me. I didn't go today because it was too windy and my bones ached from low pressure.

Well done Sir! Fine bird and a great come back due to the wet conditions. :hatsoff:

Good job staying at it and getting a bird in wet conditions! Congratulations! :hatsoff:

Congratulations on a successful hunt during deplorable conditions, way to stick with it. Thanks for the great story and the equally nice photos. That bird, flavored with black powder, will be doubly appreciated come Thanksgiving........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back