• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Rifle to the Range today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate c

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my new Lyman Trade rifle to the 50yd range today after work. Didn't have any cleaning gear with me but managed one each 3 rnd group of PRBs and Buffalo Bullet Ball-ets(sp?).

With the PRB, 70g GOEX FFFg, Bore Butter, and Pillow ticking my first shot was right at point of aim, 2nd one an inch low and right, and third one another inch low and right.

With the 310gr Buffalo Bullet I increased the charge to 80g GOEX FFFg and my first and third shots were both inside the 10-ring. My 2nd shot was a called flinch and lobbed about 1-1/2" low and right.

I hope to get a chance to chrony it next time (and maybe even clean it between groups) then take her out for Deer in Washington a few weeks from now.

Nate :thumbsup:

Nate,
Sounds like that rifle has good potential. A 50 or 54? Did you look at the patches?

I have a TR in .54 and it's a great shooter. It shoots roundball far better than conicals. 90 grains Goex 3f with a .530 ball and BB lubed tick patch does the trick.

HD

Thx - I was excited enough I left out the caliber... Its a 54.

The patches looked good - none of them were blown. I was initially worried when I picked up the fabric at walmart that it would be too thick (it seemed thick anyways) but it loaded and shot well.

Dawg -

I'll have to work up from 70gr to 90gr with goex fffg and prb and see how the groups do.

Have you chrony'd that load by any chance?

nate c said:
Dawg -

I'll have to work up from 70gr to 90gr with goex fffg and prb and see how the groups do.

Have you chrony'd that load by any chance?

No chrono. Based on the Lyman BP manual it's a more than potent load for the critters I chase. I wouldn't worry too much about chrono data and all that. Even a 60 grain load of 3f BP is a strong enough load for deer if you limit your distance and hit the boiler room.

HD

I agree - accuracy is significantly more relevant than velocity... I'll try 80g, and 90g, but ultimately will hunt with whichever one shoots the best for my particular rifle...

Thx again for all the feedback everyone.

Back