• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tradegunning.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A lazy afternoon hunt today, well I was out before light and took a fall, banged and grazed my left knee, it's hurting now I can tell you!
Anyway loaded 1oz+ in the .63 with a modest amount of fine powder and after some time skulking about got under a squirrel clinging on to an alder in the wind. What a fat squirrel!

They have had a good year, they all seem bigger this year.

Later a partridge got up from under my feet but I had no spark!
That would of been a first.

The wind turned cold as the sun got lower so I turned for home and that's when I found a pheasant. I passed on a hen earlier and thought that was it but when this cock bird appeared I didn't hesitate. The gun was stronger than the squirrel shot earlier as I added a little more powder due to the previous shot sounding a little weak.

4f again, gun and owner in one piece except for a sore knee. Jess is fed and scrubbed, fires lit, gun is uncleaned but airing by the fire unloaded, no panic about rust, life's to short.

B.

Excellent Nate!!

Please remind us how you treat your bore in lieu of a deep cleaning.

Best regards, Skychief.
The wads contained olive oil so I know there is some down there. The gun is now aired so I know the salts are crystals. I am relaxing for the evening and maybe I will swill the gun out tomorrow, dry and apply my homemade grease. Or sunday even!

B.

Big squirrel and that first picture Jess has a smile on his face. Where you hunt are there any seasons or bag limits?
Squirrels (grey), no closed season. Reds, completely protected from any hunting.
Pheasant closed from February 2 to September 31st.
Jess loves getting to grips with a squirrel or two.
She has a good vnose for pheasants and in her subtle way marks their presence!

B.

Well done Nate! That is certainly a fat squirrel and the look on Jess's face. Those were some nice teal in your previous photo. Your photos always turn out so well, what do you use?

Looks like the Brown Bess lock. ?? Had to fiddle with mine a bit (Pedersoli Brown Bess) when I first got it, but it's been a good reliable lock ever since. Only time it has ever failed to fire is when about 100 people were watching me, during opening ceremonies at an Appleseed shoot. Do'h. But, re-cocked real fast, closed the pan, pulled the trigger, and she went bang.

Well done Nate! That is certainly a fat squirrel and the look on Jess's face. Those were some nice teal in your previous photo. Your photos always turn out so well, what do you use?
Thank you DD.
I use a Sony bridge camera or a Canon 100D or my phone, motog6.
That was an old picture of the real and I forget what camera I used. Maybe a little Samsung.

Back