• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional hunting/snow& wet weather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix511

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on a flask vs horn for enduring the rain/sleet/snow?

Here in the central states, the forecast for early November looks wet, cold, & windy, for the deer hunting season.

I'd like to use traditional equipment in the field, although I'll likely do the first load in the comfort of the hunting shack. Reloading in the field from a pouch is another problem. The horn & tapered fitted stopper seems to have better water resistance than a flask, with only the loose-fitting rotating plate preventing water & moisture from entering the powder through the spout.

A plastic zip-lock bag in my pocket with the capper, and a few of these double-ended tubes with powder and ball would be a 21st century solution, but how did they hunt in wet/cold weather back then?

My horn could take a good dunking and the powder inside would stay dry as a bone. I wouldn't bet a nickle that my flask could do the same.

Loading from the bag is really no problem if the bag is not over-cluttered. I keep a small altoid tin of lubed patches, a ball pouch, a small tool kit, and a tin of caps in my GPR's hunting bag. The powder measure hangs from a thong attached to the strap and can ride in the bag or outside. I can reload without even looking.
I tie a capper to a thong around my neck and then drop it in a shirt pocket. Another goes in my front pants pocket.

Less junk to carry with the flinters. No cappers necessary and I prime from the main horn.

When it rains I just keep the muzzle down and the lock covered as best I can. I guess that's probably what they did back in the day too. Some folks use a cow's knee to cover their lock.

I would say my horn is less than waterproof, but it has kept my powder dry in steady rains. If you wear a caped hutint shirt, I'm sure that'll help keep the horn dry with it tucked under your arm.

I reserve my flask for Jack Daniels...for medicinal purposes only you understand...and only after the smokepole is put away. :grin:

I've only ever used a horn in the rain. When that happens I wear it under my outer layer.

My flask has less than water-tight fittings and side staples for the cord. My horns are sealed with wax and the stoppers are tight.

I use bags made from oiled and waxed leather, so anything in them stays basically dry. Capper goes in the bag if I'm using percussion. I've got a small "day" horn that I put inside the bag in the rain. I've got a cows knee I use over the lock, because our country is so rough it's nigh onto impossible to keep the lock under the flap of a raincoat.

Are you sure Pete, I trust you warn't tippin the flask or anything while mixin you load. :haha:
Dusty :wink:

Back