• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional ML Season Support Base.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well so far REM is right on target the minorities rule by squeeking the loudest. So lets get squeeking.

rabbit03

Thanks for the interesting replies, I would think it would be an uphill battle as I am not certain there are enough traditionalist that are into it enough to give up conicals and modern sights, but I may be wrong, I base this on the response I get on this and other forums when such a definition of traditional guns and gear is put forth, the cyber connection may be the only way to get enough peole of a like mind together and also educate and bring in new blood into a truely traditional mindset, a hard task considering 30+ years of a watered down version being accepted. I think forums such as this and the TMA might be instrumental in establishing a solid base of traditional shooters/hunters as time goes on if the urge to stretch the meaning and get liberal in order to draw more people can be avoided, I think this would be counter productive and just start the circle over again. I think the best first step is to promote the use of traditional gear, rb/primitive sights in whatever season folks are hunting where ML's are allowed, the special seasons may be easier to come by later if a base of interested hunters is alreday in place.

the following of a traditional season will come TG
the problem isnt in the new season the numbers are there to support it .
think on this . if you started a new season for traditional weapons what will happen .
1) you will have a good season devoid of the modern folks
2) that season will grow if the game is available as those looking for longer time hunting

I enjoy the PA late Flintlock only season. And since there are no requirements for attire, many of the diehard traditional hunters dress in period attire and do it hte old way. Here's a pic of me as I do it!:thumbsup:
PAFlintlockDoe2002.jpg

From what I have seen down hyeah in Lousyanna, my swamp home for the past 15 years, a true traditional season would go over like a screen door in a submarine. I know a few more or less traditional hunters (the boys in the club I belong to, maybe a half dozen). I know there are others, but judging by the total lack of traditional MLing support in any sporting goods stores, lack of traditional ML shops, etc., and the overwhelming goodolboyredneckorcajun nature of most hunters I know, it would seem unlikely that such a season would have much support. Most hunting down hyeah anyway is done on private land or leased land and the type of hunting is sorta up the the individual--that is if a person wants to hunt deer with a flintlock longrifle, he isn't going to be bothered by anyone. Same for inlines or .30-30s. To be honest this state is poorly managed and full of poachers who would as likely blow away bambi with a .30-06 during a flintlock only season as anything else...reminds me of my last squirel hunt in what passes for National Forest down hyeah...Squirrels were the only legal game and I was walking in from some distance away from a parking area, when two yahoos came screaming up on a four-wheeler. They asked me what I was doing and I noticed that they were armed with a high powered scoped boltaction rifle (probably the 7mm Mag favored in these parts)and a crossbow. I didn't ask them what they were doing. They roared off towards the bottoms and I veered off away from them....

thats sad mike but all to true in many cases . if the f&G do not have the man power to enforce then what does it really mater , even if you restrict modern loads there is no one to make sure people are following the rules .Poaching laws IMO are not strict enough . Taking ones license away is ridicules. I mean come on they person obviously didn

nice doe "jack"
would be interested in here about you rifle and the hunt

Well at work today i asked at least 20 people,all inline shooters,if a new season was started that was roundball only with side hammers, flintlock or caplock and this season was a added season that didnt effect the current seasons would they hunt it.I said open sights,didnt specify fix or not.
Surprise :shocking:
All but one said they would particapate in this season.There is the support group.The inline crowd.It is sumthing new to them and it would be anuther season for them to hunt.Perhaps this question of a new primitive season should be asked on modern muzzle loading fourms,might just be that they are the support group that is needed.
I know a new season wouldnt be needed if the inlines hadnt incroched on the original seasons,but they have and dont seem like they are going to go away.
Gives a whole new meaning to we all need to stick togeather dont it :hmm: :peace:

Rabbit3 thank you for your persnl note about my Pard. I am not very computer literate so didn't know how to answer you other than here. I did get a near B&C antelope last yr.(my only one). If you ever get this way look me up. Thanks

well i posted on 2 modern muzzle loading fourms if they would be intrested in such said primitive season.Yes they would.if your guys are serious about getting more people involved in the growth of traditional muzzle loading and a primitive season maybe we sould really consider that the future lies with those that hunt with a muzzle loader already.If we could figuare out a way somehow that all muzzle loader hunters could come together i think traditional muzzle loading would see a real growth for years to come.I think if a nation wide pole was done on all the hunting forums and gun forums i think you would see an over wheelming support for such said season if it dosnt take away from what is already on the books.the support is out there,its just how are we going to round up that support for the state legistures to consider?
or are you guys really not intrested at all?

well i posted on 2 modern muzzle loading fourms if they would be intrested in such said primitive season.Yes they would.if your guys are serious about getting more people involved in the growth of traditional muzzle loading and a primitive season maybe we sould really consider that the future lies with those that hunt with a muzzle loader already.If we could figuare out a way somehow that all muzzle loader hunters could come together i think traditional muzzle loading would see a real growth for years to come.I think if a nation wide pole was done on all the hunting forums and gun forums i think you would see an over wheelming support for such said season if it dosnt take away from what is already on the books.the support is out there,its just how are we going to round up that support for the state legistures to consider?

Your poll results also sound like a tailor-made fit and opportunity for the TMA.

Given the mission of the TMA, they could launch an out-reach program emphasizing some sort of "Transition Traditional" category on the TMA website...start advertising it on all ML boards, etc...drum up some interest, increase the membership, etc
:redthumb:

I personally am not surprise at what you found . I also read you posts on one other forum and i dont think most traditional shooters would be surprise to see modern inlines folks step up on this . as i even said to TG a few posts back , get the season and the numbers will come .
just like more then a few told you on the other forum ," its another season and thats what they are all about" .

i for one wouldn

IMHO the route of doing away with inlines in muzzle loader season just is not going to fly.To many big name companys with a lot of pull have too much invested in modern inlines.There sales would drop off considerbly if the inlines were regulated to center fire seasons.They have more cash to pay pack money than we could ever hope to have.The states legislature,the ones who vote on this stuff wouldnt go for it.
A primitive season may be obtainable if they new all the muzzle loader hunters were behind it.The biggest force fighting a new season would be the bow hunters assocation,but they can be over come as they found out in Iowa.They werent aware of the new 3 day doe season or the extended high power doe season in january untill a month before it was passed.They were throwing a fit on the websites here.They didnt even want to give anyone else a chance at a new season because once it is established it is hard to over come.Well the legislature passed it anyways so they can be over come.Im a compound bow hunter,but i was willing to share and not be a selfish hunter,but these guys werent but they have to,im sure they fought the early muzzle loader season here when ever it came about but we have one as well as a late season,you cant hunt both of them though and if a primitive sesaon was established here the legislature would probably make the early season the primitive one with only 7500 resident tags only and the same rules would apply.Thats just a guess though.Bow hunter assosations have come togeather,traditional and compound and they are a force to be reckond with.The only thing working againts them is the high deer populations here and the insurance companys pack money.So what ever season is going to be tryed for you will be infor a fight most likely,the bow hunters dont like giving up any season or even letting anyone else hunt at the same time,and no i dont belong to any bow hunting assocation.I just wouldnt fit in with a crowd of selfish hunters :peace:

so then we come back to the purpose of this season , why the need , if its just more time in the woods to take game , heck i can hunt with my flintlock in 3 to 5 seasons now and have never had a problem filling a tag if need be even competing with centerfire in the general season .

as a former bow hunter i can see the AA anger here . they are hunting in a season they have tried to make as safe as they can for hunters in camo who need close range shots under 35 yards . its bad enough having bird hunters running up and down the roads at the same time .

why i would like to see a traditional season is for the very same reason as the bow hunters , basically quality of the hunt and at least some safty of shorter range weapons .
see i am at the age where need to fill every tag comes short on my list of good hunts . while having the chance is important actually doing it isn

Well here if I feel like using my Sidelock for a full month nothing would be said.But I would not push for a Sidelock only Season.

Blue Smoke

Oh I foregot most Guys around here just use Centerfire Rifles durring Muzzleloader Season anyway.

Blue Smoke

Well a new season might get more people intrested in traditional muzzle loading,revising the seasons we have now would get a lot of people Td-off but maybe they would get over it.
Im blessed with plenty of hunting time here and im enjoying my flinter sparky,i got a feeling me an him are going to cover a lot of ground togeather,thats whats important to me :peace: :front:

T. G.
I would be very interested in starting a more traditional M/L hunt in Or. We would have to get the State game dept. to pay attention to us and that would be the hardest step.
If they offered an "any species" hunt at the same time in a decent unit I'd hunt it in a hot second. Make it late in the year, so you might get snow.

Larry

"T. G.
I would be very interested in starting a more traditional M/L hunt in Or. We would have to get the State game dept. to pay attention to us and that would be the hardest

It would be a trouigh sell in Oregon with the demise of the herd populations they are in the process of reducing the harvest so any tags for a new ML hunt would have to come from an existing hunt, I also would like to see a late primitive ML hunt that would limit the number of people running around blazing away out of the bcks of pickup trucks so a traditional hunter could have just a bit of acalm and serene hunting experience, but with the deer herd status in Oregon as it is I don't look for it to happen, the current trend to reduce the type of technology that is leagal may be a better answer here, (though the modern folks don't like it it did take it back closer to what it used to be)the applicants have dropped considerably for most ML hunt since the changes were implemented, we just do not have the animals other states do to be adding more seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back