• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Muzzle Loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How many hunters in your area do you know personally that use Traditional Muzzle Loaders?

I belong to a club with 23 members. There are two of us that use traditional muzzleloaders.

I am the only one that uses black powder.

Myself, my son, my 84 year old dad, my hunting partner Steve, the captain of my reenactment unit, my buddy John from The Friends of Fort Fredeick, my buddy Scott also at the fort, my late friend Bruce who passed in 2006, my friend Chris who is a professional lock builder, a forum member named Pierre aka Flintlock Fanatic (lives right down the street from my folks), Rob/Terry/Ed at Jerusalem Mill Village, So ...all but my son and my 84 year old dad are into flintlocks,

a dozen.

:grin:

LD

Guys that shoot muzzleloaders regularly through the year- 100% are hunting with traditionals.

Guys that shoot once to sight in, then hunt and put them away till next year- It's about 75% inlines.

There are somewhere between 15 and 20 of us in our neighborhood hunting with MLs. Every one is a traditional, though about half the guys aren't shooting year round.

Bottom line, if a guy is shooting more than 10 shots a year, it's always a traditional. Less than 10, it could be either.

Big difference here in AK: No scopes allowed in muzzleloader-only hunts, so no advantage to the inlines.

Guys that shoot muzzleloaders regularly through the year- 100% are hunting with traditionals.

I think that's better than 90% true, but oddly, I know some guys who shoot matches and attend get togethers all year long but go hunting with an in line and a huge chunk of lead. Several have commented to me that it's odd that I trust that little round ball to kill a deer or elk! :shocked2:

Will also add that quite a few of the regulars involved in shooting trad guns don't hunt at all or don't hunt with ml guns. Go figger??

I only know 2 people besides me who shoot black powder but they don't hunt.
There are 3 that shoot traditional guns (almost) when hunting BUT they use scopes.

Nobody but nobody I have ever seen in my 71 years hunts with traditional clothing, etc.

nobody. I get the weird look when I run into someone in the bush. Some in plain disbelieve that "that thing" can actually kill something " if you are lucky enough to hit it".
I was stopped once by a conservation officer, and he told me that I was the first ever he saw in his life to hunt with a flintlock. He said "you deserve every squirrel you can get" , obviously I was hunting squirrels at the time.
There is a lot more traditional archers , than traditional muzzle loader hunters.

Just me and a friend of mine. We both shoot caplocks, but I am the only person I know that also shoots flintlock. I sure wish I were around other people like myself.

Jeff

I know of 3 other guys hunting with traditional muzzleloaders, one uses a caplock, the other two (a father and son) use flintlocks. I know a bunch of guys who own traditional guns, but most don't shoot them anymore and have bought inlines to hunt with during the MZ season.

Five, if I take in an area within a half hour drive.

There probably isn't any others or they would be "known".

On the other hand, only "know" two other archers - but given we have a thriving bow shop in town there must be dozens - just a "less exclusive" group/not tight knit...

Of the 9 of us in the neighborhood that hunt during the ML deer season I am the only one to shoot a traditional (flintlock) and black powder. One other shoots a caplock and bp substitute. The rest are inline, plastic stocked, scoped and mostly stainless barreled.
Myself and one other are the only ones I know personally who hunt small game with traditional, both flintlock smoothbores, and yes I do get some strange looks when I run into other hunters. They just don't know any better!

Me and one friend. He hunts with a caplock but burns black powder. As another posted, my sons also hunted with caplocks I built for them but both have pretty much quit hunting all together.

I'm the only flintlock shooter around and am considered to be goofy. I guess I am but flintlocks have nothing to do with it :grin:

The fellows I work with all use scoped, inlines.

Back