• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Muzzle Loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't personally know anyone else "in my area" that shoot or hunts with traditional muzzleloaders. Many years ago my brother did for a while. I have heard tell of a few, but never saw them and don't know them. I have not seen a single traditional muzzleloader at the shooting range. Not even many inlines. Mostly black-stocked AR types.

I personally know a lot of traditional bowhunters and I agree with the statement above that there's a lot more of them than traditional gun shooters.

Myself, my brother and my son all hunt the full season with flintlocks. Even pistol flints. It always amazes me that people will ask if you can really kill something with them. Got a lot of people shooting them and some are hunting with them off and on. They just need more confidence in themselves. It will come.

My brother and I both shoot caplocks. I know of one other friend who shoots a caplock, but it has a scope on it. Everybody else goes modern.

Darn near every BP hunter I know uses a flintlock.
Two of them have not gotten the memo yet.

Any of them ever show up with a BBQ lighter, just might get roasted

I designated the land I hunt(a friends farm I help manage )as side lock MLs and archery only so that makes three of us. I have three more friends that hunt with side lock BP firearms for a total of 6.

I am the only one who hunts with a flintlock and osage bow exclusively.

Counting me..hmm..well me haha the only other guy iv ever even seen shooting one at the range was shooting a 54 cal tc and he put like 120 grs in it and short started his ball capped it and it was like a bomb went off scared me and my dad haha my dad told him what he did and the guy tried to start a fight with him but everyone was lucky no body got hurt.

I have only one flintlock shooting/hunting friend and know no one else who hunts flint or cap. I am, however, acquainted with two flint shooters whom I see occasionally at the gun club range. They both built their own rifle(s), too.

Here in pa. There is a ton of us. The club I belong to has thirty or so members most hunt. Almost all with flintlocks, one sometimes with his civil war era gun. The other club I shoot at is bigger yet, but some of them are pure target shooters. BJH
PS pa Is probably the home of the biggest concentration of flintlock shooters in the country due to our flintlock only muzzleloader season.

traditional, just me as far as i know. alot of flintlock people during our "flintlock only season" but all are using fake powder and pellets and sabot bullets.

I guess im lucky. In my area there are quite a few traditionalists. Where i work there are 3 of us that regularly hunt with flinters or cappers and 2 more trying it this year. Tomorrow 3 of us are headed to the Buffalo Natnl River for 3 days of camping and hunting.

My son who lives in VA and me who lives in MT. Used to know others who switched to IL or retired from hunting.

We are all truly “needles in a haystack”

In many ways it is probably a good thing that not everyone wants or has a muzzleloader.

Just imagine”¦. next thing you know manufacturers would be putting plastic stocks and scopes on them or trying to improve the ignition system.

There is something very desirable about being one in a million. :grin:

There's probably a half dozen or so that I know of. If we didn't gather at Rondies or small monthly shoots and tell stories I probably wouldn't know about them. I've never actually seen anyone else out hunting with a sidelock.

With the group I typically hunt with; Myself, my brother, my dad. All of my other hunting partners use inline. There are a couple guys in our ALRA group that do a traditional camp during thier ML hunt but I've never attending (we hunt in different parts of the state).

Back